Chapter 8: The Encounter

Chapter 8: The encounter

“Miss Mathews, you don’t seem to understand the concept of time. You may be new here, but I don’t tolerate tardiness in my gym, do you understand?” my PE looked down at me, his humongous eyebrows pulled down in a deep frown as his eyes narrowed at my chosen attire. I folded my arms across my chest and stubbornly angled my chin. There is nothing wrong with my clothes and he really needs to stop looking at me like I’m bloody dinner. I mean, it’s not fault I was late- okay, maybe it was, I was hungry so I stopped at my locker and ate my banana. 

Is it my fault that I was hungry? No, it was my stomachs therefore his argument of me choosing to be late is invalid as a man should never come in between a woman and her food.  Those are some famous last words there.

I chose to ignore him and focus on the students who were beginning to warm up, their bodies twisting into painful angles. Crystal Highs gym was twice the size of the one back home and after glancing in this room for two weeks I was still shocked. Yes, I have skipped PE for two weeks straight. Hiding out in the girls locker room with a phone that is always on low battery is no longer fun and I got scared of the thought of my gym teacher catching me in the act. He’s like the size of Mount Everest, ain’t nobody got time to make him mad. So today I decided to attend and act like this is my first day.

When I didn’t answer he barked in my face “You will stay 10 minutes at the end of class and do 5 laps.”

Shrugging, I kept my eyes on the glass ceiling that showed a grey sky. To tell you the truth, if I looked at the man I would probably piss myself and lose my bad attitude facade.

“Make that 7.” he boomed and obnoxiously blew his whistle close to my ear making me flinch.

He smirked before walking away, my eyes narrowing on his retreating figure. He blew it again his face red from the strain. By now he had the class’s attention. He used his hand to call them all over.

“Right class!” he boomed once everyone had made their way towards him in groups, reluctantly I stayed near the back, “Can somebody please tell the new girl what we will be doing these 2 periods?” he questioned his beady eyes daring the speaker to get it wrong. A girl with short shorts and a tight top stuck her hand in the air.

He raised an eyebrow at the rest of the group obviously surprised that a girl was the only willing student to answer him. Also, the fact that the girls were completely outnumbered by the guys seeing as I could only see a number of 7 girls out of 40 students. Meh, more boys meant more competition and ego deflating.

Shame on you, boys.

“Yes, Lilly.” He shouted.

“For the first lesson we will be doing combat or as you call it self-defence. Then for the next lesson we will be going down to the bottom field to complete the obstacle course.” she smiled and I watched as he actually smiled at the girl, minus the part that it looked more like a grimace.

Before Mr Hulk could congratulate Lily, the door of the gym opened, the crack of metal hitting brick echoing thought out the large hall. In strolled Kyle without a care in the world, I waited with an evil smile for the hulk to flip out and give him a piece of his mind. When he barley glanced at Kyle I tried not to choke on air. Like seriously? Come on! I thought he was going to annihilate him!

I watched with a scowl as Kyle hung back watching the class, his hands shoved in his grey joggers. As if sensing my gaze the hulk looked at me deciding that instead of taking his anger out on the student who deserved it he decided to choose me.

“Okay everyone, get into a circle. You three go get the mats; I want to remind the class what you have been practicing with your pairs over the weeks. I don’t want any incidents like last weeks, you here? Okay, I want to show the newbie what we have been doing, I need a volunteer.”  He questioned as I made it my mission to stay out of the hulks view by hiding behind the shoulder of a tall boy.