Chapter 5: Dracuwoman and Gwenpee

“Is this for real?” I asked as I drew the curtain back, the loud screech of metal on metal making me cringe. Raising an eyebrow, I turned my body to look in the mirror of the department store.

My day of shopping was going surprisingly well.  I had managed to find the mall that was a mere 15-minute drive from Aunt June’s house. The mall had been surprisingly empty due to the fact it was a school day allowing me to roam around freely.

Apart from accidently bumping into a woman with a coffee because I was too busy gawking at the mall, everything was going fine. That is until right now. Because at the moment I am trying my school uniform that consists of a skirt. Yes, I said skirt. A fricking S-K-I-R-T, who…what…why?

Aunt June had already paid for the uniform it was just a case of getting a blouse that fit, unfortunately my aunt had miscalculated my size and thought I had a body of a five-year-old resulting my shirt being a couple sizes too small, which meant it was tight in both the stomach and chest area. I wasn’t a self-conscious person, but there was only so much I could tolerate. I tugged down on the back of the skirt in an attempt to make it reach my knees, not a chance. It sprang back up to half thigh length.

The woman came over to me and brushed my hands away before running her hand over the skirt, rushing away invisible dust.  “Oh yes, Crystal high is one of the most prestigious high schools in the state, it is an honour to attend there. Hopefully, my daughter will be attending their next year.”

My eyes followed her and as she left to go pick up the black pumps in my size I mimicked her, “Oh yes, Crystal high is one of the most prestigious high schools in the state, it is an honour-”

She turned around my shoes in her hand, with a raised eyebrow she questioned. “Did you say something?” pressing my lips into a thin line I watched her in the reflection in the mirror as I shook my head.

I slapped my hand against my thigh as I looked at myself in the mirror, letting out a disgusted noise; I held it up, “Why is it so fucking short?” I hissed as I once again tried to yank it down.  The assistant looked round her eyes wide as she eyed me with disappointment.

“Gweneviere, that language is not tolerated in this store.” she said her voice a stern whisper.

“Call me Gwen…” I narrowed my eyes, “and I look like a slut.” I concluded as I reached for the shoes she was holding up, waiting for me to take them. Her hand lowered and I held a hand up cutting her off when she started to say my name.

“Gwe-” she started, I put my finger to her lips before she gave me a lecture on my bad language.

“Sorry, I can’t help it. No swearing.” I told myself and offered her a slight smile when she stepped back her lips pressed into a tight line.

Clasping her hands in front of her she asked in a forced tone, “Shall I go get your cardigan?”

I nodded and as she left I turned to walk into the dressing room, not before I accidently stubbed my bare toe on the corner of the wall as I went to turn around to walk back into the dressing room when I did the worst thing possible-  I stubbed my toe on the entrance of the wall. Hopping around, I clutched my bruised foot and hollered in pain.  “Ow! Fucking, OWWWW!”

My wails of pain where cut off when the lady swung around and shouted my name making me turn around to glare at her. Has she never stubbed her toe on the corner of something before? Has she never felt this pain? I feel like I just got shot!

 “Yeah, yeah.” I managed to hiss out as I sucked in sharp breaths through my clenched teeth. I made my way into the dressing room, still hoping I tried to avoid her stares as I closed the dressing room curtain, effectively blocking her out. Turning around I stuck my leg out and pulled my lip back in disgust, the dull grey checked pattern did nothing for my skin. I wasn’t pale and I wasn’t sun kissed, I was well…me.   I was told by my dad that I had inherited a lot of my mums features, the green eyes included. I jumped when the curtain was pulled back and met the eyes of the woman through the reflection  as she stood there with my cardigan in her hands.