Chapter 23: On The Job

Happy reading guys!

Chapter 23: On the job

“I feel like a man,” My Aunt announced as she slivers into the room, the soles of her feet not leaving the floor as she seems to ‘creepily’ glide into the room.

As she gets closer and passes me, I pull away and clamp a hand over my nose, the strong smell of alcohol and sweat singeing the inside of my nostrils.  “And you smell like one too.” I wheeze as I wave my other hand in the air in an attempt to wave the strong odour away.

Aunt June seemed unfazed by the smell as she lifelessly floated towards the coffee machine, quickly flicking the switch down before slouching across the island, her arms outstretched in front of her. As she lay down, something appeared behind her, floating in the air. My first thought was that her spirit had wafted away, also trying to escape the stench.

“Aunt June. Why are you still wearing the devils tail?” I ask as I watch it bob a couple of times in the air before it completely stops moving.

Aunt June’s makes a sound between a moan and a breathless sigh before answering in a muffled voice, “Uh,” the sound echoed across the counter top and I was surprised she could even breathe. “It makes me feel sexy.” She finally said.

Raising an eyebrow, I give her a once over and nod. “Right….sexy,” I say as I look down at the open newspaper that was from yesterday.

The sound of someone falling into the kitchen doorway had me rolling my eyes; a loud groan fills the room followed by another set of shuffling feet as another zombie makes their way into the kitchen.

“And here comes hangover number two.” I quip in a chirpy voice as I keep my eye on the newspaper, not bothering to look at the hot mess that goes by the name of Taylor, moonwalk into the room.  My aunt was not the only one who enjoyed herself last night, Taylor deciding that an empty house was boring had decided to explore the night life of our town. He too did not make it home until half four this morning. I had found him passed out on the porch steps, topless and smelling a lot like sick and smoke.

I watched amused as they both stood next to the coffee machine, Aunt June making a little barrier making sure she got the first mug. Taylor seemed unfazed and was busy scratching his back and running a hand through his hair that was sticking up in every direction.

Glancing at the phone next to me, I smirked, prepared to see a flustered Aunt. “Aunt June, someone sent you a message earlier; you were asleep so I didn’t want to disturb you. It was your boss, by the way.” At this my aunt instantly straightens, the cup moving away from her lips as she seems to wake up from her hangover phase.

“What did he say?”

I shrug and slide the mobile across the table; I smile in satisfaction when it stops short of her hand. “I left it for you.” She nods before picking it up and disappearing out of the room, her tail swishing furiously behind her. 

Taylor frowned, his squinting eyes on the door that Aunt June had just left out of.  “Am I seeing things or has June got a devils tail stuck up her ass?” he asks making me choke on my orange juice I was drinking.

Before I could tell him off for not warning me about his joke Aunt June bounces back into the room, her mobile clutched tightly in her hands as she beams at me, the dark circles under her eyes a gloomy contrast against her pale skin making me swallow in fear. Her teeth gleamed in her open mouth and I was half scared that my aunt had gone rabid, instead of trying to eat us, she responded with something much worse. “Gwen, go get dressed, Taylor have a shower and get ready, I’m going to take you both to my work today.” She shouted, throwing her hand in the air as if she had told us she was taking us to Disney Land.