Chapter 6: High School

Happy Reading :)

Chapter 6: High School.

There is nothing I can really say about Crystal High but that it looks like your typical everyday high school. Students lined the path, huddled in their social groups, litter lined the walkways and graffiti marked signs. Understudies lined the way, crouched in their social gatherings, litter lined the walkways and graffiti marked signs and lockers. Nonetheless, the door did look prestigious and resembled more of an old manor than a low-class public school, it was clear that the front was dependably an essential piece of the school. I had parked in front of the large building, the words were engraved in the concrete above the wooden door reading, ‘reception’.  After explaining to an old lady that I was new here, she had apologised to me for shouting and informed me that student are  not allowed to park in the reception but around the back in school parking lot. Thanks, I gathered that, but I parked here to get my information.

The reception was your typical school waiting room, the walls dotted with colourful flyers that advertise upcoming events and the room smelt strongly of coffee, something the receptionist had obviously had too much of this morning, her unwavering smile and tapping foot and indication of  proof. She sat behind the main desk that was positioned in the middle of the room, two doors leading off either side. She had been nice enough to go through every route and lightly slapped my arm when I laughed along with her non-funny jokes. My mood had significantly darkened when she referred to me as ‘new girl’.

 “If you get lost don’t be afraid to ask somebody, they don’t bite.” The receptionist finished flashing me a pair of white teeth. I half expected to see fangs- no twilight reference intended.

No Gwen, this is not some cliché vampire fantasy. What kind of vampire would even consider going to school? I mean who would even write that…oh wait…Stephanie Meyer did. Oops.- twilight reference intended.

As I walked out and back to my car I ran a hand over my jaw making sure it was ready for the day and was not going to pop from all the smiling I would have to do. Making friends is exhausting and the thought of keeping myself to myself almost sounded appealing. But no matter how good that sounded, how long would it last until I get bored of talking to myself? Bored of teaching Rodger to answer the phone so I could talk to him when I’m alone (I’m so sad, I’m sorry).

Pulling out the reception parking lot I made my way to the student’s parking spaces, before coming around the corner I picked my sunglasses up and placed them over my face. It was sunny and all the students here seemed to be using them as a necessity and not an accessory. My kick ass car seemed to catch a lot more attention that I thought as people did a double take I couldn’t help but smile. I wasn’t an attention seeker but when I’m in the spotlight, I take the time to enjoy it.   I easily slid my baby into a vacant parking space and without killing anyone or knocking out any signs.

I must have stuck out like a sore thumb or something or maybe everyone knew each other so they knew when a new student was arriving. As I climbed out I placed my bag on my shoulder and ignored the curious glances and hushed whispers.

Walking away, I did the coolest thing ever… or maybe the nerdiest thing I have ever done, but for some reason, it fitted the moment perfectly. Are you ready…I locked my car from over my shoulder! I know, so lame and I even waited for it to explode like it does in the movie. I tried to push away the disappointment when there wasn’t even a little ‘poof’.

I kept my sunglasses eyes on the door of the building I was supposed to be in. I didn’t glance at the student or bother interacting as I made a beeline for the open door where students became an endless stream of coming and going.