But You Did

Grey~

The first thing I do when I get to the Gala, is search for Evangeline. I know she's here with her family,
so I have to be careful, but it doesn't mean I can't just get one look at her.

"Greyland Kline. You look just like your father these days." The voice is too recognizable.

Ace Dair.

"I can't tell if you mean that as a compliment or not." I smile, giving him a hug.

"As long as you don't act like him," Ace laughs. "Then you're set."

"I'll let him know you said that."

"You go ahead and do that." He smiles.

"Where's Lillian?" I question.

"Somewhere around here. Where's that girlfriend of yours? Evangeline, right?"

"Oh, um, no we didn't date." I say.

"You two made out at a Gala Grey. You aren't dating?" He sounds disappointed.

"Never were. It was all fake." I tell him.

"To boost your sales?" He asks.

"You know how it works in business. You've got to give the people what they want." I mention. He nods, and steps away from the conversation.

I look around for Evangeline some more, never any luck wherever I go. Until I spot her unusually close to a blond.

That must be her assistant.

Seeing her so close to him, makes me fume. That should be me. My hands should be wrapped around her waist right now. Not his.

The dress she's wearing, looks stunning on her. I've never seen her wear anything like it.

I desperately want to walk over there, and kiss her. She's too irresistible.

"Grey, we have been looking for you for," My mother pauses, when she sees who I'm looking at. "Did you and Evangeline quit the fake dating thing?" She questions.

"Her parents wanted her to settle down. And not fall for a Kline," I say.

"But you did. You fell for a Wright."

"What? No- Of course not. That'- No." I stutter.

"I'm your mother Grey. I'm not that naive. I know you've been lying to us about where you've been. What you've been doing. Like last week when you said you were going to stop by Oliver's house, you were really at Evangeline's house. Doing what? Who knows, but you were there." She tells me. My heart races just thinking about being with Evangeline.

"How-"

"Because a certain four year old can't keep her mouth shut." My mother smiles at me.

Blake. Always Blake.

"God I love that girl." I smile.

"She's a cute one. But who's Evangeline with right now?" She asks me.

"That's her new assistant. I think his name is Caleb. Carson? I don't know, something like that."

"And that's making you mad that she's here with him?"

"Of course."

"Then go get her back."

"Mom, her parents wanted her to find a real boyfriend,"

"And that's you." She smirks.

Evangeline turns around, and we make eye contact. She smiles, but also give me a "What the Fuck" look.

My mom nudges me towards her, and before I know it, I'm right in front of her.

"Grey, what the hell?" She whisper yells.

"I,"

"Is there something you need?" Her assistant questions, getting defensive.

"No. I was just coming to grab some, champagne." I lie, something that's becoming too easy.

"Well here you go. Now you can be on your merry way." He says. I can tell he's trying to make his voice sound deeper.

Evangeline and I have caught peoples attention,
once again. All eyes are on us. Something that's gotten too familiar.

I excuse myself, praying Evangeline got my sign to meet me outside.