Chapter 11- Won't Be His Replacement

Before I go to school, I decide to quickly stop in at the wine store and see how Nate is doing

Before I go to school, I decide to quickly stop in at the wine store and see how Nate is doing. I pull in the small parking lot and see only Nate's new Camaro. It's a beautiful car. The guy really picks out the most amazing cars.

The outside of the store has a woodsy feel to it. The inside is woodsy modern. Lots of stained wood and stone. I have to give it to Davis there, he knows a thing or two about design. The window frames and door frame are matte black. It's oddly a good match.

I get out of my car and go inside. The floors are stone and the walls and ceilings are stained wood. The stained wood outside is darker than the ones inside. When you walk in the building from the main double doors, the whole left wall, from floor to ceiling is stacked with black metal wine racks, each slot filled with wine bottles. There's six rows of racks with more wine bottles on the left then an aisle leading to the counter then six more racks with bottles. To the right, along the right wall is two big picture windows, about four feet apart. Between the windows, the wall is divided into two. The bottom half of the wall to the middle has racks of wine bottles then the top half of the wall has certificates and pictures of Davis and Lyle's glory days from the NHL. I scoff and shake my head.

I walk down the straight aisle and go to the left of the counter. There's a small hallway that leads to the main office and a bathroom. On the right side of the counter is a wine cooler.

The door to the office is open. I stand at the threshold and see Nate looking baffled while looking at some papers. He's dressed in a nice clean crisp gray suit with a black tie. I laugh to myself at seeing Nate's puzzled expression. "You working hard or hardly working?" I quote Shrek.

Nate looks up, when he sees it's me, he smiles and waves me in. I walk in and stand in front of the black metal desk. The desktop is a light wood. A computer is placed in the right corner. "Classic Davis. He did everything by himself. He didn't let anyone help with the important stuff." Nate shakes his head.

I sit in the black velvet armchair. "Is there anything I can do to help?" I offer, slightly hoping he'll say no.

Nate sighs and puts the papers down. "Actually, yeah, there is. You can come work for me. What do you think?" He smiles at me like he knows I'll say no but he had to give it a shot anyway.

I let out a breathy chuckle. "Uh... well thanks for the offer but um... I... I don't know, it might be a little weird to get a cheque signed by Davis." I say apprehensive.

"No, actually, it feels pretty good," Nate says with a serious face and I laugh. "Well, the offer is still open if you want it."

I nod my head once. "Thanks, Nate." I give a tight smile. I glance at the clock and note that school is set to start soon. "I guess, I'll let you get back to slaving away." I joke then stand up, turn and walk to the threshold. I stop and turn back to face him.

Nate rolls his eyes. "Yeah, cause you know how much fun this is. I have a million and one things to do, plus I have to go get Davis to sign these papers and... I'm all out of excuses not to go see him." Nate says exasperated. He looks stressed to the max already.