Chapter 14- Thought I saw Her

I think seeing Ayla the other day was what I needed

I think seeing Ayla the other day was what I needed. Just seeing her and seeing that she's doing... not good but alright. Her grandparents are taking care of her. Before I went to Syracuse to see Ayla, I felt like she fucking died or something. I mean, because she was here one minute then completely gone the next, so yeah, it was like she disappeared.

Now, it doesn't feel like that. I know Ayla's taken care of and she's with her family. My heart doesn't hurt that much but there's obviously still an ache in my chest. I still miss everything about her, that won't ever change. As long as Ayla isn't here with me, there will always be a pain and hole in my heart.

Seeing where Ayla's living in Syracuse takes some of the weight off of me and it let's me feel like I don't have to worry about her as much. I don't want to but I feel like its finally time for me to start moving on with my life... without Ayla. It won't be easy but I just have to keep busy. Like, with hockey, the playoffs coming up, this job Scott offered me at my father's wine store.

My boss will be my uncle Nathan instead of Davis. This should be interesting. I've never spent anytime with Nate. I never met Nate until I was about nine or ten, Davis never talked about him or showed me any pictures of his little brother. I didn't even know Davis had a brother until I met him. I've seen him with Scott and Quinn but I didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, I'm on my way to start my first shift at the wine store. Scott texted me this morning telling me that Nate is letting me work six hours since it's game day. So I'll be working from nine to three. I think regular work hours are nine to five or something, I don't know, I've never worked a day in my damn life.

I get to the store and go inside. I go into the main office, where it once was my father's office but Nate took it over. I knock on the opened door and stand at the threshold. Nate looks up from the desktop computer and waves me in. "Hey, Kain. Come in and have a seat." Nate gestures to the chair in front of the desk. I saunter in and sit down. Nate puts his elbows on top of the desk, looking at me intently. "Are you ready to start your first job?"

I slightly nod my head. "Uh, yeah."

"Good. Alright." Nate gets up and rounds the desk. "Come on, I'll give you a rundown of everything you'll be doing." Then he walks towards the door.

I turn in my seat. "Wait, you're not gonna make me scrub fucking toilets, are you?" I ask then stand.

Nate turns at the threshold with his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, of course I am. Why wouldn't I?" Nate looks at me with a serious look then a smile appears and he starts belly laughing. "Kain, I'm kidding. No, I'm not going to make you scrub toilets."

I release a breath and shake my head. The fucker got me. I follow Nate to the main area, he tells me what I'll be required to do and what to say to the customers then he leaves and goes back to his office.

I sit behind the counter and wait for what feels like fucking forever but it's only been forty-five minutes. Davis should really consider opening this store in the afternoon. I mean, who the fuck buys wine in the fucking morning. I should walk around and get myself familiar with everything. I saunter lazily down each aisle. When I turn the corner, I came face to face with Davis.