Chapter 43- Dalton Doesn't Feel Like Home

I walk in the kitchen and see Davis sitting at the island, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper

I walk in the kitchen and see Davis sitting at the island, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. When he notices my presence in the room, he sets down both the mug and the paper and gives me his full attention. "I suppose when you get back from Buffalo, you'll be moving back in with your Mother?" His voice coming out deep and serious.

I pull a Banana from the rind, turn around and lean my backside against the counter but I don't peel the Banana quite yet. "Actually... I think I might stay a while longer."

Davis looks taken aback by my answer. "What about your Mom?"

Now I begin peeling the Banana. I glance down at the fruit then back up at Davis. I shrug my right shoulder. "Obviously she isn't to happy with my decision but... I think, besides you, I'm her least current favourite person right now."

Davis has a look on his face like he's pleased to know I'm on my Mother's crap list. "Eh, she'll get over it. But I'm glad to have you stay." He nods his head once.

"Thanks. Well, excuse me, I have to go pack." I raise the Banana as a salute then I walk out of the room.

Okay, so, we're going to be gone until Tuesday. I actually have quite a bit I need to take. Jeez, I'm overwhelmed already. At least it's just after seven in the morning so I still have time to pack. Usually, I'd pack my stuff the moment I hear that I'm going out of town but apparently not this time. I've never packed the day I'm leaving, that's not the type of person I am. I'd rather have time to pack whatever I need, I mean what if I forget something. I'd just stuff it in my bag right away but if I pack the day of the trip and I forget something, I wouldn't have time. I'd stress pack and that just seems like not a fun time.

Thinking about forgetting something because my mind's scrambled from packing the day of the trip just stresses me out. See if I was still living with Mom, she would've made a list of things I need to pack. I have to much freedom here but I guess, in a way, it's helping me grow up and be responsible.

Yesterday Davis took me shopping to get me more suits. One of the suits costs more than my whole wardrobe. And I need three suits so you can imagine how much money he spent. I told him he didn't need to get me an expensive suit since I pretty much only wear them on game days but Davis said 'Every man needs his own suit. Plus, you're a Banks boy, Banks boys need to always look good'. Of course I didn't argue.

I decide to take up Mom's tactic and make a list of everything I'll need the 4 days I'm away. I pack 4 outfits, 3 PJ bottoms, 2 pairs of shoes and 3 suits, my toiletries, pillow, and the basics like phone charger, cologne etc etc. In the mist of packing I hear a strange noise. I stop and listen. It's quiet for a moment, I'm just about to go back to packing when I hear, "No! Get away from me!"

It's a cry for help but I don't fully recognize the voice. I follow the voice to the top of the stairs. I stop and listen again.

"Don't touch me!" The voice says again.