Chapter 46- No Goal

I read the text from Scott

I read the text from Scott. I shake my head, turn off my phone and shove it in my black sweatpants pocket then keep walking. I can't fucking sleep in that bed. It's to dark, lonely and quiet. My brain won't stop fucking racing. It's either the damn nightmares or my mind that makes it almost impossible for me to sleep. And I need to sleep if I'm going to play my absolute best and win this State tournament.

There's only one way I know for certain that I'll sleep good. It's a huge fucking risk that I'm willing to take.

So here I am, standing in front of door 235. I take a deep breath then knock 3 times and wait. It's late at night, what are the odds that they're even awake right now?

Fuck, they're sleeping, they aren't going to open the door. Maybe, I shou-

I hear the door unlock then it slowly opens, revealing a sleepy Ayla. The hallway light is to bright for her, she has to close her left eye as she looks up at me. She's wearing a maroon spaghetti strap tank top and cotton PJ shorts.

"Kain? Are you okay? What are you doing up so late?" Ayla's voice comes out cracky and low.

I stand here with my hands in my sweats pockets and rock on the balls of my feet. "I... I can't sleep. Do you mind if I come in?" I bite the inside of my cheek.

Ayla looks at me like she's weighing out her options. I don't blame her. Fuck, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near me, if I were her. Lately, I've been saying some fucked up shit to her.

Just when I think she's going to tell me to fuck off, she nods her head, holds the door wide open so I can enter.

This is why I love this girl, she's so forgiving.

When I enter her hotel room, I look to my left and smile to myself when I see that she has the bathroom light on. She's the only sixteen year old I know that still has to sleep with some sort of light on.

I stand at the foot of her bed. She's fucking lucky, she has a King size bed all to herself. I miss my King bed at home. Ayla slowly walks toward me. The room is silent besides the soft patter of her bare feet on the carpet.