Chapter 39- Good Job, Cupid

I walk down the stairs and turn to the right

I walk down the stairs and turn to the right. On my way to the kitchen. I hear Kain groan frustratedly from the foyer. I enter the kitchen and see him scrounging around the cabinets, looking for something intensely. When he comes up empty searching in the cabinets, he moves to the fridge and rummages around at the contents.

"You know, if you're hungry and looking for food, there's gonna be some at Nate's wedding today." I lean against the opening frame.

Kain stops, looks at me over his right shoulder, he scoffs then continues his search in the fridge. "You're fucking stupid if you think I'm going to that shit show." He answers without looking at me. 

"So you're really going to do that to Nate?" I say a bit annoyed.

Kain gives up on his search for whatever he was looking for. He shuts the fridge door, turns to face me, shoves his hands in his sweatpants pockets then he shrugs his left shoulder. "Look who's fucking talking. You're really going to let him go through with the wedding? That's almost as bad as not showing up to the stupid wedding." He smirks devilishly.

I shake my head, no emotion on my face. "He loves her and she loves him back. Are you gonna hold that one mistake with Davis plotting against Nate for the rest of her life?" I move and stand behind the barstools, resting my elbows on the back of two stools.

Kain stands on the opposite side of the island with his right hand flat on the countertop. "Who's the dickhead Ayla's been talking to?" He asks chaining the subject.

At first I'm clueless as what who the dickhead Kain mentions is but then I remember Ayla talking about some guy in one of her classes started talking to her and offered to help her catch up. "Well, it can't be you because every time she tries to talk to you you shut her out or make her cry... so I'm guessing you're referring to Brent."

Kain knits his brows together at the mention of Brent and I see his jaw clench. "What do you know about him?" Kain question but it's like it pains him to ask.

I look up at the ceiling and sigh while I think about what Ayla told me about him. "Uh... Well his name is Brent Lawson. He's a senior and the quarterback at our school. That's about it."

"You met the guy? He a douche? And what kind of quarterback is smart. I bet he doesn't know a fucking thing, all he wants is to get in her pants." He picks up an apple front the fruit bowl in front of him.

"Yeah, I met him. Briefly. He seems decent. But why do you care? You said so yourself that you don't care about Ayla." I furrow my brows at him.

Kain takes a bite out of the apple and smiles as he walks out of the kitchen. This is going to be a mess, I can already tell. No matter what Ayla does Kain will always be watching from a distance or will be involved. They can't seem to keep out of each other business, they have some kind of hold on one another.

I walk to the fridge and open it. Nothing looks appeasing. I don't want anything big, just something to hold me over until we eat later at the wedding. I still can't believe that Nate is getting married and not to my Mom. To another woman. I always thought that when Nate got married it would be a great day because I always thought he would marry my Mom. Every time I thought about either my Mom or Nate getting married I pictured them marrying each other.