Chapter 41- His One Weakness

It's been two days since the disaster of a wedding happened

It's been two days since the disaster of a wedding happened. Two days since Nate's been home, I would know since I've been saying at the lake house waiting for him to come home. After the wedding, Waverly must've came back here to quickly pack her stuff then fled town as fast as she could. I don't even know where Nate is or how he's getting around. Mom drove Hazyl and I back to Hazyl's house then Hazyl drove me to Rylin's. I changed my clothes and took a cab to the lake house and my car was in the driveway. Nate was nowhere in sight. Nate gave me a key to the house a little while back.

The couch is where I've been residing since I've been here. Since it's living room is the first room you see after you enter the house. I get woken up by someone knocking at the front door. I yank the blanket off me and get up off the couch. I unlock the door then pull it open. Mom stands there looking worried as I feel.

I rub the sleep from my eyes then squint my eyes. My eyes aren't quite adjusted to the light. "Mom?" My voice coming out raspy and cracky. I move to the side so she can enter.

"Scott, what are you doing here?" Mom asks as she takes her jacket off. She hooks it on the coat rack.

I close the front door and we stand in the foyer. "I've been staying here waiting for Nate to come back." I answer.

Mom has a concerned look on her face when I say that Nate still hasn't shown up. "He's not here? He never came home yet?" Mom voice comes out shaky. I shake my head, no. "Any guesses as to where he might've gone?" Mom crosses her arms over her chest.

I sigh, turn to my left, walk back into the living room and sit on the couch where I've been sleeping. Mom follows me and sits on the armchair across the coffee table from me. "Well... All my guesses lead to him sitting at a bar getting drunk." I answer truthfully.

Mom looks around the room then looks back at me. The room becomes quiet between us for a minute. It's not awkward but I do feel some tension floating around. Mom lets out a long breath, she crosses her right knee over her left and rests her right elbow on her right knee. "Why didn't you tell me what was going on?"

I bite the inside of my cheek. "I wanted too but I knew you'd tell Nate right away." I say with a small smile because that's the aspect of them being best friends. "I thought by me moving in with Davis, I was protecting Nate. Davis said that if I moved in with him then he'd leave Nate and Waverly alone and let them be happy. I thought I was doing the right thing."

Mom shakes her head and looks at me disappointedly. "You still should've told me."

"I- I'm sorry I hurt you, Mom." I apologize sincerely. "You don't know how hard it has been." I add.

"Eh, I think I have an idea." Mom says with a growing smile.

Mom's right though. I'm pretty sure she does have an idea of how hard it's been not to tell her. Since we've pretty much always been honest with each other. I'm glad she knows now. Actually, I'm not sure how she knows about the deal Waverly made with Davis.