Chapter 13- Go Your Own Pace

I make the decision to stop by the store before I head to school

I make the decision to stop by the store before I head to school. I open the door of 'A World Of Wines' and walk straight to the main office. Nate's dressed in a dark navy blue suit with a black undershirt and a gray tie. He's sitting behind the desk, looking intensely at the computer screen. He looks as if he's 10 seconds away from ripping out all of his hair or he's going to punch a massive hole through the computer screen.

Seeing Nate's stressed out demeanour makes me laugh. I lean against the door frame with a smirk. "Hey, Nate. You good?" I ask, Nate looks away from the screen and looks at me.

He sits in his chair, rubs his eyes and sighs. "Yeah. Just, uh... trying to figure everything out. What's up?"

"Nothing, just checking in." I walk forward and sit in the chair in front of the desk. I wonder if Nate saw the pictures of me in Davis' lockbox.

"Scott, you don't have to keep checking in on me. I'm fine." Nate reassures me with a pointed look.

I raise my hands in surrender. "I know, I know but I like to." I admit.

Nate nods his head and a comfortable silence falls between us. I look to the right and see a picture of Davis and a young Kain. Kain looks to be about twelve. Kain along with Davis are standing next to Sidney Crosby and some other guy. Kain, of course, isn't smiling but Davis, Sidney and the other guy are smiling from ear to ear. In the background looks to be at a golf course, so my guess is that that picture was taken at a charity golf event.

"So, did you hear that Davis is getting released today?" Nate's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Today?" I say in surprise. I didn't expect Davis to be getting released so early. The stroke happened about two weeks ago. But if I know Davis like I think I do then he's probably faking it to make it seem that he's getting better, like he's hiding his pain but If he wants to suffer then that's his call.

Nate nods and looks at his watch on his left wrist. "Yeah. Right now, actually."

I've been meaning to talk to Davis. Ever since I found those pictures in the lockbox, it's been bothering me. I haven't talked to Mom about the pictures, she's been so busy with college. She's almost done her first week of classes, I don't want to stress her out even more. I look at the clock and decide that I can be a little late to school today. I stand up and smooth out my clothes. "Well, I guess, I head to school."

Nate looks up at me. "Yeah, alright." He gives me a confused look but nods his head.

I smile a tight smile, turn and walk out of the office.

I pull in Kain's Moms house driveway. I see Rylin helping Davis walk towards the house. I quickly park my car, shut it off and get out. I jog towards them. Rylin turns her head towards me, I nod once in greeting and she smiles. Davis stops walking just before the step and turns around to me. Davis and I have a bit of a stare down, either of us knowing how to react or start a conversation.