Chapter Twenty Four

Nathanial Winters

The drive back to New York Sunday afternoon was something that I wasn't entirely ready for. Not because it meant hours on the road with Scarlett but because I didn't want to go back to the city, to school, to where we would have to act a certain way.

Looking over at her asleep in the passenger seat of my car as I headed back to New York was a sight I could get used to but I knew that Waccabuc was a special place, it's where so many memories were made and it would continue to be that way.

I also wasn't ready for the month of October which it was already and that also meant that when I walked into Thornbrook tomorrow morning we'd all have to deal with the masquerade gala posters and banners.

Getting to the city I realized that after getting Scarlett home I had to do two things one somehow get into my dad's office to find the file about the car accident and two I would have to talk to my parents about buying a home in New York since I had the money, and well both of them were left alone at my age to live together and that was a quarter of a century ago.

"Make the noise stop" Scarlett mumbled in the passenger seat and I laugh lightly.

"We're back in New York Scarlett I can't" I reply and she shoots up pulling the blanket she had wrapped herself in around herself while looking around.

"Fuck, I want to sleep" she complains.

"When I get you home you can, or at least after we get out of Manhattan. Until then I don't think you'll be able to" I say.

Scarlett then let out a sigh and I had to stop myself from being amused at it because liking my solitude myself I wasn't at all surprised.

"I want to buy a penthouse in Manhattan, near where my parents is, but that is only if they give me permission to live alone".

"I can't see your parents saying no, though it will make learning about the accident more difficult".

"Not really it's the first thing I'm doing when I get back home" I admit.

"How do you expect to get into the office it'll be seven when you get home, they'll both be up still, your parents".

"No faith in me Louviere. I'm hurt" I muse feigning pain, to which she rolled her eyes.

"I can't deal with you when I'm half asleep" she mutters slumping back into the seat.

"I'm sure that's the case" I reply before switching lanes to take the exit through Queens since it would be faster at this time of day then going to the south of Manhattan to go through Brooklyn.

As we passed through the suburban area's and actually got out into what most of the city excepted as Long Island despite the face that everything East of Manhattan was Long Island, I settled for listening to music all the while not playing it any louder then around ten since Scarlett had chosen to try and go back to sleep.

When I finally pulled into the driveway of her home I parked, and got out of the car to get her bags since I wasn't just going to leave her to deal with everything while I sat in the car being equally as able to assist.

Only after I had taken her bags to the door of her home did I wake her up.

"Scarlett, you're home" I whisper softly to her while giving her shoulder a gentle shake.

"Do I have to?" she sighs getting out of the car.

"Yes, I'll see you tomorrow morning" I says shutting the door and leaning against the car.

"Don't be late, I'm driving myself" she says walking off towards the door of her home.

"Never, also good luck keeping pace to me tomorrow morning".