Chapter Seventy Seven

When the night began to grind to a stop all of us had began making our way out to the cars to go home. I had already asked or told my parents I was going to Nathan's penthouse.

Leaving the venue we walked down to the curb where the valet had brought the LaFerrari to the curb.

"Nathanial Winters" the valet says recognizing Nathan who accepted the key and walked around to the passenger side where he lifted my door as we both watched the valet go to fetch the next car.

"He insisted that he get the car for me. I don't like it" Nathan says supporting himself on the carbon roof.

"Oh stop complaining, your pride is going to be the downfall of you" I laugh and he gave me a blank look.

"Independence shouldn't be ignored because of money" my boyfriend says before pushing the door shut with a soft bang silencing his movement around the vehicle to the driver side.

Humility is his best friend and worst enemy at times.

I could tell he liked control because it reminded him of all that he could have power over that he could be organized that way.

Nathan also understood control wasn't everything and could let go at times which made him easy going.

Starting the engine of the car he slowly drove away the whirring and pur of the engine behind us reminding me that what I sat in was a representation.

I loved my own cars, and I could easily say that I came across as rich. Yet there was a constant reminder to me that despite Nathan being at the very top of the wealth echelon he was probably one of the more humble.

European wealth was different in many aspects. So when I realized that the Winters had that same view I felt more welcomed into their family, and every day I was with Nathan I became more and more welcomed.

He made me feel safe and protected, yet for eight months both of us had been careful to take things slow and work on being the best people we could be and focusing on our future. Tonight was just for us.

Getting to Steinway Tower he pulled down into the garage and parked in the middle amongst his cars.

"What now?" I ask looking over at him as we got out of the car.

"We do whatever we want" he replied locking the car with a beep. "Elijah will be here in an hour to pick up the car I sent him a message saying we were driving back to Steinway Tower".

"Nathan how is it that the Winters Family secretly built garages for their selective apartments in the two towers they own penthouses in?".

"Building rights contracts, and the mayor of New York is a family friend" he shrugged as if it was nothing, though I knew him well enough to understand Nathan didn't treat things like that as minor, he simply just didn't treat them like anything special which could make him seem like he was better, and a piece of me wondered how often billionaire's just did things in the US without thinking and got their way.

"I can only imagine how many times connections have been used to get the persons way" I muse and Nathan smirks lightly.

"In Europe things are organized and civil there are enough customs and laws to protect people from committing power plays, some still get away with it but it's not as bad as it is here".

"Maybe that's why your parents built an empire from taking over companies that tried to exploit every nation on the planet, and why there is so many Winters Group buildings around the world".

"Because my parents built an empire that I will take over, yes. But tonight is for us not about the future we all worry about the future too much" Nathan smiles as we travelled up to the floor his penthouse sat on before we both walked out into the expansive room.