Chapter Thirty Six

The weekend would be the start of Winter Break for Thornbrook students and I hadn't actually seen Nathan over the past few days.

I would have gone to his penthouse but I also wasn't allowed to go up to his home. I wasn't a resident and the whole idea of me going there was to surprise him, so I had stopped and attempted to think of a different way to do it.

As I parked in the Thornbrook parking lot early one morning as I had left at seven rather then seven thirty. The night had still yet to fade into day, and I had been admiring the beauty of the sky when no one else was really awake yet or even at the school. Save for the black Aston Martin parked next to me unoccupied, and the foot prints leading towards the polo field.

Getting out of my car I pulled the red cashmere wool longline coat around me before locking the doors, and heading out to find where Nathan had gone.

Thornbrook was quiet this early but that was also because in twenty minutes time everyone arrives at school, and then everyone is trying to get in their social interactions while getting to class.

As I got to the field I noticed a little outcropped dock with a black spec at the end of it, and walked around the massive area where the actual games were played before slowing walking to the end of the dock.

"Nathan" I say softly and he turns to face me.

"Scarlett" he reply with a small smile.

"Why have you avoided seeing me these past few days?".

"I was thinking mostly about what I did in early November, compiling information that the police could use, and I was software programming".

"You missed Zavier trying to talk to Lea yesterday, well more like staring" I muse and I see amusement cross Nathan's lips.

"Zavier Ambrose staring at a girl instead of flirting with her".

"She is pretty" I point out settling next to Nathan on the end of the dock.

"Blonde's aren't my type" he says and I give him a look that said 'really', which only made the smirk on his lips grow.

"That's not what I was saying smartass".

"She is, but I had my eye on you long before I ever cared to look at Lea Paris".

"I don't have any doubts about you're loyalty".

"Why because we both had shitty exes" Nathan quips, before he reaches down and picks up a piece of floating ice, and began melting it into a circle.

"What is your plan with that Nathan?" I ask standing and taking a few steps back.

"Did you know you can skip ice?" he replies setting the piece of ice down and cupping his hands together to put heat back into them, before slipping his gloves back on.

"No" I laugh as he picks up the sheet, and flicks it with his wrist into the river with the current and it skips four times before coasting over the surface of the black water.

"I think that's the only time you've ever had fun" I tease and he gives me a mirthful look.

"I will throw you in the Hudson River".

"Wow one month and you already want to kill me".

"Never said I wouldn't join you" he adds.

"When I drag your raven haired ass into the river with me" I retort.

"Please save murdering one another for when I'm not a witness" Lucian remarks joining us at the river his aesthetic glasses gone, and his floppy hair covered.