18 - Cards

It's been about four days since I agreed to live with Nightmare and his group temporarily. Things were going smoothly for the most part. There were times when things were a bit dicey but they mainly solved themselves.

That wasn't the case all the time.

At the moment I was watching Killer and Dust be at each other's throats one holding a knife and the other holding a sharp bone. Scoundrel and Horror were next to me watching the scene play out in front of us. Our current task was completely forgotten as the two skeletons yelling various insults at each other.

The table in front of us had some bones sticking through it and the three of us were currently using said table as a sort of shield without bringing attention to ourselves. The last thing we want at this moment was to catch the attention of the two feuding.

They must have heard the commotion since Nightmare had wandered in with Cross not to far behind and looked at the scene in confusion and annoyance. I guess this isn't the first time these two have argued. Nightmare's visible eye wondered the the objects on the table and the few that fell to the floor.

Then he let out a sigh before approaching the mess.

I should probably explain what happened huh? Well I was minding my own business making a new puppet when Killer came by.

"Heya Error."

"What do you want Killer? I'm busy."

"Heh, sure you are. Listen can you come with me to the dining room?"

I paused my actions to look at him. I knew nothing was cooking so it wasn't a meal time. Was someone new here?

"....Why?"

"If I told ya it would the surprise. Don't be a bone head and just come on."

I had no reason to say no so I put my stuff and followed him to the dining room. We walked through the halls heading downstairs and I noriced something that I really never questioned.

No one really teleports inside to get place to place.. I'm sure some do but i haven't seen anyone do it. I wonder why that is? It could really just be nothing and I was over thinking it.

Upon entering the dining room I noticed three other skeletons sitting at the table and a pack of cards on the smooth wooden surface.

A very familiar pack of cards on the table.

The table decorations were moved to be out of the way and to avoid being damaged if I had to guess.

"We know you're still settling in so we decided why not have a game night?" Killer said not seeing the huge issue I was seeing.

"Are you sure you want to play-"

"Hey lighten up would ya'? It's just a game, we ain't asking you to chop a finger off or anything." Scoundrel said with a grin full of mischief. He knew what was going to happen and he was all for it.

I sighed and sat between him and Horror, who looked more interested in what he could see in the kitchen then the game on the table.

"I think five players might be a bit much," Dust said looking unsure as Killer shrugged taking his seat.

"Nah, makes it more interesting in my opinion." He took the cards and started shuffling them.

"You all know how to play right," he asked causing us all to mutter some kind of confirmation. That seemed to be good enough for him so he dealt out seven cards to each of us.

I looked at the horrid things feeling dread build up as I picked up my cards and started sorting them by number and color.

"We all ready?" Killer asked after about thirty seconds of silence.

"I'm good."

"Same."

"Ditto."

"Yep."

His grin widened as he reached for the remaining cards on the table and grasped the top one. He flipped it over and placed it in an empty spot on the table revealing a blue 3.

"Alright, I'll go first then Horror and so on."

Killer place another blue card down on top of the first and started the game of Uno.

The order went Killer, Horror, Me, Scoundrel, and Dust.

Now it was going well.

Then it got hectic when the plus cards, reverses, and skips started coming out.

Which leads to our current scenario. Killer had a plus four card and used it on Dust which was the last straw for him since he constantly had Uno but someone managed to stop him from winning for the past five minutes.

Death threats went flying they both stood up as the other two scooted closer to my side away from the potential mess. Then they pulled out their weapons and we had ducked to avoid getting hit by a stray bone.

Now that that's been explained, back to now.

Nightmare sipped his mug, I had to assume it was coffee, before placing it on the table. Then tendrils shot out grabbing both skeletons startling them a bit since they started to immediately struggle once their feet were no longer touching the ground.

Killer was the first to noticed and stopped struggling looking nervous.

"Heya boss. How are you doing today?"

"Not in the mood."

"You got it."

Dust also calmed down seeing as he wasn't going anywhere. Nightmare huffed a bit before rubbing his temple.

"You know there was a reason I told you not to play this."

"I know," Killer said not sounding all that apologetic, "but I thought it was a good way for Error to get use to us. Especially in a chaotic environment."

It was silent for a bit before the dark skeleton just kind of dropped them. We flinched at the thud and heard the two groan before Nightmare retrieved his mug.

"You two clean up this mess. Error come with me."

He walked away leaving me no choice but to follow. I thought we were going to his office or something but he started talking once we were far enough from the others.

"I know this is a bit random but we need to discuss which aus you'll watch over. The others have their own aus except for two. Dust occasionally looks over the new Dancetale and Cross looks at Underfell."

"How many do I get to choose and which ones?"

"Well usually it's just one but you can open portals like I can so you can freely choose."

"....Outertale for sure."

"Ok, any more?"

"Sciencetale."

"Interesting. Any others."

"Mainly? No. I'll be able to see the others anyways but I want those two under my watch."

"I see. Consider it done. Now for the other reason I called you. Can you keep an eye on Underswap? I heard rumor of my brother showing up there and I want to know what he's up to."

I could only really think of one reason Dream would be in Underswap but I couldn't be a hundred percent sure. I hummed a bit to seem like I was thinking before nodding.

"Alright, I'll do that. I'll let you know if I see anything."

"Good."

He left taking the heavy atmosphere with him leaving me alone with my thoughts. I hope this didn't become a new mess to deal with.