28 - I What?!

Author note: Anyone else nervous? Just me? Okay.

Soon noon came around and I wandered to the foyer where Cross was waiting.

"Hey, Nightmare said you needed company."

"Yeah, mostly to keep watch though. If it's a trap you'll tell me and can keep watch if someone is coming that shouldn't."

"Sounds easy enough."

I was about to open a portal when Dust came up to us. 

"Hold up, change of plans."

"What's up Dust?"

"The ceiling but that's not the point. Cross the boss wants you to go with Killer. Apparently something came up and he needs two people."

"And why can't you go?" Cross asked and his tone made it hard to tell if he was annoyed or not.

"Me and Killer alone without a third to keep us from killing each other?"

"...fair point. I'm off." Cross left to where I assume Killer was and Dust turned to me. 

"I was only briefly told what was going on, a meet up right?"

"You got it. We might be late if we stand around here so... " I opened the portal and gestured for Dust to go in. Once he was through I went as well and saw the hooded skeleton staring up with an astonished expression. 

"Welcome to Outertale Dust."

"You know I was wondering why you wanted to watch over this au. It makes sense now."

My pace slowed to a walk as we both looked up at the stars. Eventually we did end up walking faster and Dust looked around at the scenery.

"...this place would make a good picnic spot."

"I was thinking the same thing when I got here."

Eventually we spotted a familiar looking house and used a shortcut to get to the door. 

"Do you even know what they wanted to talk about?"

"Nope, that's why you're also here."

I knocked on the wooden surface and waited hearing shuffling going on inside. The door opened a bit before opening fully revealing Outer.

"Error you made it. I see you brought company."

"Better to be safe than sorry."

"Ah, I get it. So come in. They're already here."

The use of the word they're threw me off a bit. Did he mean they like as in multiple people or does Core Frisk refer to themselves as they. I wouldn't be able to tell. None the less we both wander in and Dust immediately placed himself in a corner. Staying out of the way yet viewing everything. 

I saw Core sitting at the couch and noticed they looked unsure, not necessarily uncomfortable, just not at ease. Something was definitely up.

"Core."

"Hi Error, I know we don't know each other that well but this is important. I hope you don't react negatively."

"Well whatever it is must be important. I won't judge until I know whatever it is you want me to know."

"Right," they muttered before pointing at a room upstairs. "....in there."

I raised a bone brow in confusion and I could tell Dust felt the same way.

"Want me to check it out Error?"

"No... I'll look."

I didn't get it. Was something wrong with Papyrus? I thought he went out with the kid for something. Or was it something else in the room? As I went up stairs I could feel their gazes burning into my back and the atmosphere getting more and more tense. Outer decided to follow when I was halfway up and stayed at the end of the steps. I opened the door and looked inside seeing nothing at first.