120 - Missing Piece

Author's note: Oh boy this one, I had to dig for this one.

After a bit of just relaxing Papyrus and Sans went off to see Undyne, I think, leaving just myself and Gaster. I was a bit tense and I don't know why. Gaster is not a bad guy, this one isn't at least. But being alone made me... worried? No that's not quite it. Anxious? I don't think that's it either. I just enjoyed my tea.

"So, now that we can openly talk, what's bothering you?" Gaster asked cutting through the silence. I blinked and looked at him.

"Huh? What do you mean? Nothing-"

"Don't say nothing is bothering you. You're different Error. Not saying it's a bad thing but something must have happened after you left." I couldn't quite figured out what tone he was using and tried to brush it off.

"Really its nothing. Yeah things happened but nothing you need to concern yourself with."

"Error, you've helped us more than you needed to and I feel the need to pay you back. Let me be a spare set of ears to hear you despite not actually having ears." I could see he was trying to ease me into conversation by smiling which made me feel... better?... worse?... I don't know.

"I understand what you're saying but I don't want to just dump information on you." I didn't want to burden him. The others were used to me. Not him, he didn't need that. He let out a heavier sigh that sounded like the huff of a chuckle as he moved his cup to the side.

"Well I'm not asking for a life story but I know you're dealing with things and I want to be that possible second or third opinion to help you clear your thoughts. I'm a scientist and you are an intriguing individual that I want to know more about. I can't think of a better time than now with no life threatening occurrences around the corner."

"Gaster I appreciate it but-"

"Just entertain me. Like we're catching up. After you left saying your goodbyes what happened?" I was silent for a bit and he made a 'go on' gesture.

"Uh... ok. Well I joined up with a friend and we attempted to head home." I started off simple.

"Uh huh, since you said attempted my guess is you didn't make it home."

"Kinda, I went home just not to the home I wanted to go to. I was somewhere I didn't want to go back to. Bad memories." Gaster nodded and leaned in his seat.

"Continue."

"Well I decided to... I'm not going to say fix things but I wanted to change things. I didn't care for those people anymore but I couldn't let things get ruined because technically it was the consequences of my actions that lead to that situation they were in." I saw Gaster make a face which stopped me from speaking more.

"Was it really? If you left, never to return, and things were fine only to go wrong in your absence then that's not your fault. Fault falls to whomever caused the mess."

"I mean yeah, but if I didn't do what I did..." I trailed off thinking of the possibility if Error never took that dive to the dark end.

"Were you happy?" He questioned making me blink out of my thoughts.

"Uh... no."

"Are you happier now?"

"I believe so." I definitely wasn't complaining about my current life.

"It's not wrong to be selfish Error, especially for your own good. You can't please everyone and you don't need to blame yourself by using 'what if' to question yourself. Was it bad being back and seeing your past home?"