12. Missing Eachother

Priya was looking at Ram straightly, waiting for him to say something. He looked very nervous to her.
Priya gave him the water bottle from her bag. Ram popped his Anxiety pill with some water and sighed deeply.
Priya waited and waited.
Ram: So I've something to tell you.
Priya: Hmmm...tell me. Is everything okay at home? Did Vedika do something?
Ram: No no. Everything is fine there. It's not about that.
Priya: Then?
Ram(looked straight into her eyes): I've never cheated on you with anyone not emotionally not...physically...never. Trust me Priya please.
Priya looked at him blank for some seconds.
Priya: I know.
Ram: How do you know? I know you've read the rumored articles. And no one knows about this not even my friends. They all think that I'm trying to move on and sleeping around with the whole mumbai!
Priya took a deep breath.
Priya: I know because I know you.
Ram: How?
Priya: Because I think we both believe that cheating on your partner is a deal-breaker for you. You've made it clear 5 years ago. And it is a deal-breaker for me also. You know that. We've never been divorced. And if you've cheated on me, I know you would have never asked me to come back to you even if there's Pihu involved. Your conscience would never allow you to do that. I trust you. I know that I said that I couldn't trust you with Pihu that time and I'm not changing my opinion about that. But I trust you Mr. Kapoor even with Pihu now.
Ram was shocked to hear her explanation.
Ram(teary-eyed): I'm sorry Priya. I thought if you've moved on, I also can. The loneliness grasped me and I tried. But hua nahi mujhse, shayad isiliye ke main chahta hi nahi tha. I was in denial all these years that I don't love you anymore. But the truth is I never stopped loving you, I can't stop loving you Priya. Yes I went on dates, had a few drinks with them, gave them my credit card to use but nothing else happened Priya I promise. I understand that you trust me but you're upset with me. And you've every right to be upset with me. You were raising Pihu almost alone and here I was going on dates in order to move on.
Priya: Mr. Kapoor we both coped with our separation differently. I put on a smile for Pihu's wellbeing, I told everyone that I'm happy but I felt dead inside, I still do maybe because of my conditions. Whereas you put on an angry bird mask, behaved rudely, did things that are not even your characteristics, that was your coping mechanism.
I wanted you to move on and be happy. Because it's your life and you should live it in your terms. That's why I kept Pihu away. Nandini Kapoor is very good at manipulation. She made me believe that you'll never accept her wholeheartedly as she'll remind you of Shivi's death. I didn't want you to feel guilty for that and definitely didn't want to stay in jail forever for a crime I didn't even commit. I wanted you to live a healthy life.
Ram: You thought you're a curse of my life. I know. But Priya you are my everything. I could feel nothing after you left me.
Priya: I understand that now. I thought you'll be happy without my existence in your life. And I still feel that. My guilt of making bad decisions all my life is gripping me every moment.
Ram: Priya please yaar. Tum gussa ho, upset reh lo mujhse but don't say that you believe I'll be happy without you. You and Pihu are my lifeline. I can't breath without you two. Please Priya think about it please. I request you. And don't you dare leave me again. Phir se galti dohorayunga nahi main, kisi bhi kone se dhoond nikalunga tumhe. It's your choice tumhe rehna hai ya nahi mere saath. But don't leave Mumbai again. I hate it when you're not around me.
Priya: I promise I'll think about it.
Ram: I'm sorry. I know what I've done is not forgivable Priya. But still.
Priya: And what I've done is also not forgivable. I'll have to think. My brain doesn't work properly nowadays. It's difficult to think straight. I need some time.
Ram: Take all the time you want. Main kahi nahin ja raha. Maybe we've to find of a middle ground Priya where we both can breath freely. I know it'll take time but I believe agar tum saath ho toh kuch bhi impossible nahi.
Priya nodded with a small smile.
Priya: I've a question. You want to answer or not, it's totally upto you.
Ram: Yeah?
Priya: How many? Can I know the names?
Ram looked at her blankly.
Ram: Ummm...woh...woh...
Priya: What woh?
Ram: I can't remember names toh sab Angira hai. Or woh Shweta ka isiliye yaad hai kyunki Pihu time to time naam leti rehti hai to irritate me. Aur shayad 12-13 honge. I didn't count as I didn't care.
Priya looked at him open mouthed.
Priya: So you called them all Angira in front of them? And they were okay with it? Tarun ke saath toh yeh hi karte hain.
Ram: Ha wohhh ha. Toh kya karun. And they didn't have any problem as long as they get the money. And whenever they wanted to come close I would always ditch them.
Priya: What have you become? You don't remember the girls you dated? The bare minimum respect! I don't care what they are. But now I'm definitely more upset with you. I'm sorry I can't help it. You know what I'll wait for the day Pihu actually understands what she said all these years, aap ki class toh woh achhe se legi. I want to know what she thinks about this matter.
Ram was fearful now.
Ram: Woh toh abhi se le rahi hai class. Jaan le legi meri. Maaf nahi karegi karna bhi nahi chahiye. What have I done? I'm sorry Priya. I'll call them to ask their names. Diary mein likhke rahunga. I'm sorry.
Priya(annoyed): Do whatever you want. Its your life. Don't tell me. Sar dard kar raha hai ab mera.
Ram: Oh! I'm sorry Priya. Do you want a headache pill?
Priya looked at him angrily.
Priya: Nahi chahiye mujhe koi bhi pill.
Ram: Oh umm...okay okay...gussa mat ho headache bad jayega. I wanted to clear this out asap that's why I wanted to talk. I know you're tired. Let's go.
Priya nodded.
They started walking towards the car.
Ram: Umm...ohh! I forgot to ask when's Pihu's birthday?
A huge smile came on Priya's face.
Priya: Guess. It's a special day for us.
Ram: What? My birthday?
Priya: Nope.
Ram: Our wedding anniversary?
Priya: Wasn't she too small at that time to come out. Use your brain Mr. Kapoor.
Ram: The day you woke up after the accident?
Priya: Naah!
Ram: I don't know. You tell me.
Priya(smiling hugely at him): Valentine's day.
Ram stopped walking and started jumping.
Ram: What? Seriously?
Priya: Yes. 14th Feb.
Ram: Oh my goodness!
"I want to ask her more. But maybe I shouldn't. She gets upset. Baby steps Ram. You've already disappointed her", he thought.
He was smiling like a goofball.