51. Valuing Efforts

Priya told Tarun to look after Pihu and went to talk to Ram. She knocked on the office door and entered.
She walked upto his table and saw him sitting on his chair with his head down.
Priya(softly): Mr. Kapoor?
Ram: It's okay Priya. Mujhe tumhe force nahi karna chahiye tha. I'm sorry.
His broken voice was enough for Priya to realise that he was upset or maybe he was crying.

Priya went on the other side of the table and stood beside him. She felt guilty for hurting his feelings like that. She didn't want to but she still felt awkward when he spent that much money on her. She didn't want that. She never wanted that. She never wanted to weigh their relationship on the amount of money spent on her. She didn't want him to feel any pressure that he had to buy her things to make her happy like others. She didn't want him to feel like he'll only be loved if he provided her a luxurious life. She just wanted him and Pihu and a simple, happy life.

Watching Ram sitting like that, trying to hid his tears only reminded her of that incident where Shubham and Shivi both played the 'Sautela' card on him when he just wanted justice for their dad. She remembered how hurt he was, how he tried not to break down in front of her but the darkness in his eyes reflected how painful that was.

She tried to brush those thoughts off as she needed to talk to him, make him understand that she cared about him, his efforts. She waited for sometime but Ram didn't look up.
Priya(softly): Aap gussa hai mujhse?
Ram slowly shook his head.
Priya: I'm sorry. Main aapko hurt nahi karna chahti thi.
Ram(in very low voice, still looking down): I know. And it's okay Priya. Really.

Ram knew it was not a very big deal and it was really okay if she didn't accept those gifts but he felt really really hurt because of her reaction as if he didn't mean anything  her, his efforts meant nothing. He understood her but he couldn't stop himself from crying his heart out for sometime. It hurt when his care wasn't valued for. He just wanted to take care of her. He made sure that each and every suit and sarees were simple, not very heavy, just like how she would love but alas....

He really didn't want to force her into anything. She's been forced maybe all her life- from getting married to him to having forced to lie to him about their child.....he wanted her to live freely, at her own will but he also wanted to take care of her but how to balance that he didn't know.

He got out of his deep thoughts as he felt the warmth of Priya's hand over his. She held his hand and wanted him to look at her.  He blinked back his tears and after taking a deep breath looked at her and saw her tear filled eyes.
Ram: Priya? Umm...I...didn't...
Priya: I'm sorry. Main sach mein aapko hurt nahi karna chahti thi.
He stood up in a blink and cupped her face in between his hands.
Ram: Tum rona bandh karo pehle. Tumhari aankhon mein aansu bilkul nahi pasand mujhe.
Priya: Toh aap pehle rona bandh kije. Maine kaha ke mujhe yeh sab nahi pasand aur aap upset hoke baith gaye yahan!
Ram: Priya...main....
Priya: Kya?
Ram: Main toh bass tumhara khayal rakhna chahta hoon.
Priya's eyes became softer as soon as those words left his mouth.
Ram: Main chahta hoon tumhara khayal rakhna jaise tum mera rakhti ho.
Priya: Aap rakhte hain mera khayal Mr. Kapoor.
Ram: Nahin. Tum rakhne deti kahan ho...tum toh Priya ho. Sabka khayal rakh leti ho. Poori duniya ka khayal rakh leti ho.
And his insecurities started coming back to him.
Ram: Is this....is this because I wasn't with you all these years? Kya...kya yeh hi wajah hai ke tum nahi chahti main...main tumhara khayal rakkhun? Haan Priya?
Priya looked at him in utter disbelief.
Priya: Nahi...kya bole jaa rahe hain aap? Mr. Kapoor! Yeh aapko bhi pata hai ke aisi koi baat nahi hai. Aur rahi baat aapka mera khayal rakhne ki toh woh toh rakhte hain hi.
(Tears started flowing down her eyes) Yeh court cases, media ko poore din sambhalna, 24×7 security, therapy.....yeh khayal rakhna nahi hai? Pata nahi kitne paise paani ki tarah baha rahe hain aap just so I can live a stress-free life. Aapko nahi lagta hoga par aap mera bohot zyada khayal rakhte hain. Aur main aapko aur burden nahi dena chahti.