64. I'm The Problem, It's Me

As Ram began his journey towards his office, his mind again started to ponder over last night's happenings.

He remembered the hurt he saw in Priya's eyes and tears again pooled into his eyes. He remembered how she reacted in the morning when he touched her. She hated his touch and he could feel it in his bones. The way she took his name, he felt like she was shouting at him. Well, he could bear anything and everything but her silence bothered him more than anything else. He had never seen her like that. She didn't laugh today, she didn't even smile and he was the reason for it.

Didn't he promise himself that he would keep his Priya happy? That he would never make her cry again? But he broke her heart again, he made her cry.

There was an incessant throb he felt in his chest. His Priya was in pain because of him and it was killing him inside. He felt himself drowning in guilt for making everything more difficult for her. Already she was in so much trauma and he added to that so brutally, so insensitively.

He unlocked his phone and kept staring at his wallpaper. Priya was kissing Pihu's cheek while she was giggling. So happy they looked in that photo and he wiped that happiness off their faces. He felt a sharp pain in his chest as if someone pinched there with a needle.

He bitterly regretted leaving jail without Priya 5 years ago. He regretted not bailing her out, and keeping her somewhere safe. If only he did that, he wouldn't have to live like this. Priya could have had a happy pregnancy and they could've shared their happiness of being a parent together.

He felt ashamed of his unspeakable deed.

"I've failed you, Priya. Na tumhare liye achha husband bann pa raha hoon na Pihu ke liye achha Papa. Main deserve nahi karta tum dono ka pyaar, itni care...kuch deserve nahi karta", Ram thought, wiping off his tears. He just couldn't shake his mind off Priya's sad face.
. . . . . . . . .

As Ram entered the lift of his office, he saw Mrs Beena Rastogi coming towards the lift. He stopped the lift for her so she could enter. Beena gave Ram a wide smile. Ram also smiled forcefully.

Beena: Good Morning Mr. Kapoor. Thank you lift rokne ke liye.

Ram: Morning Ma'am and you're welcome.

Beena: Achha laga Priya ki khushkhabri sunke.

Ram became confused by that statement.

Ram: Sorry main kuch samjha nahi.

Beena: Arey main Priya ki job acceptance ki baat kar rahi hoon. I'm happy that she chose to join us again.

Ram became more confused listening to that piece of information. Beena saw his face and got that maybe he had no idea.

Beena: Priya ne toh aaj subah hi job acceptance ka mail send Kiya hai. Aapko...pata nahi tha?

Ram: Na...nahi. Actually main subah se busy hoon. Priya se baat...nahi hui meri. Woh soch...rahi thi of course iske baare mein. Achha hua. Main chahta bhi tha ke Priya join kare phir se.

He gave a genuine smile to Beena. Beena smiled back.

Beena: Have a good day.

Ram: You too.

Mrs Rastogi got out of the lift as she reached her floor. The moment she left, tears started forming in Ram's eyes. He felt hurt that Priya didn't share this good news with him. They could've celebrated her win together forgetting what happened for some moments. He was happy for her but there was this sadness he felt because of their situation.

"Yeh baat tak nahi batayi mujhe Priya ne...itna bura hoon kya main?", He thought to himself.

As he saw the lift reaching his floor, he quickly wiped his tears and got off the lift. His P.A. informed him about his schedule on the way to his cabin. He nodded but none of the words she said reached his ears. He couldn't concentrate even a little bit.