16. The Fear of Failure

Goa:
Priya woke up feeling very very uncomfortable. She was sweating profusely, she was trying to breath normally but her body started failing her. Her whole body was trembling heavily.
She tried to reach the medicine bottle that was kept on the bedside table. But failed multiple times. Then finally grabbed the bottle, opened it and popped an Anxiety pill and started taking deep breaths to calm her racing heart. Pihu was just beside her, sleeping peacefully. She held her tiny hand to seek her warmth. Tears were falling from her eyes uncontrollably. She covered her mouth so that Pihu doesn't wake up. Then somehow controlled her tears and again started taking deep breaths.
After almost 15 minutes, she started feeling a little normal. She grabbed a tissue from the bedside table and dabbed her face with it. Then she stood up from the bed grabbing her phone. Feeling a little unsteady, she kept her hand on the wall for support and slowly went to the balcony for fresh air.
She sat there for another good 10-15 minutes. It was 5:10 in the morning. The fresh air soothed her face.
She opened the secured folder in her phone which had all their photos together and Ram's photos that she kept hidden from the whole world. A small smile came onto her face with tears in her eyes. She started watching their photos of engagement, sangeet, marriage, valentine's day then the Mahashivratri puja.
"Should I text him?", she thought.

Kapoor Mansion:
Ram couldn't sleep peacefully the whole night. He tried his hardest to fall asleep to block his racing thoughts but nothing really worked. He woke up multiple times. He was rolling on the bed almost all night. So he decided not to try again to sleep as that won't happen. So he opened their family photo and watched their smiling faces. His tears started falling. Suddenly he thought of failing came and hit him hard.
"What if the deal gets cancelled! What'll happen then! Pihu kya kahunga usse main! Priya usse bhi kya jawab dunga! Pihu ka promise todunga phir se! What'll happen if the minister doesn't get convinced! I'll have to...go...to jail! Kya hoga meri bachhi aur Priya ka! Adi, Kunal, Vikrant sab ko jail ho jayegi! Unki family! No I'm the MD of the company unhe jail nahi hogi shayad. Kya hoga agar main kuch nahi kar paya toh! I need to talk to Priya about this. I have to.", he thought.
Just then a message came to his phone from Priya that stated, "Mr. Kapoor if you're free, call me once."
He read the message more than 10 times. Then decided to call her. He dialed her number, Priya picked up instantly.
Priya: You didn't sleep?
Ram: I should ask you the same.
Priya didn't answer.
Ram: It's a nightmare again. Hai na?
Priya didn't answer.
Ram: Priya?
Priya: Yup.
Ram: Did you take a pill?
Priya: Hmm...
Ram: You're feeling okay na? Should I call Bri?
Priya: No. I'm fine.
Ram: Pihu?
Priya: Sleeping.
Ram: Hmm...you wanted to talk about something. What is it?
Priya: Why are you doing all this?
Ram: What?
Priya: Putting them to jail when you very well know that you'll have to go to jail if the minister decides to cancel the deal!
Ram: Priya! I can't risk your lives! I'll do everything in my power to safeguard you both.
Priya: Mr. Kapoor this is not right! You are innocent. You shouldn't go to jail for this! We can make another plan. Please don't do this.
Ram: Another plan? Shoot.
Priya: What if Pihu and I shift abroad. You can come meet us. We can spend time together. You won't be in any trouble then.
Ram: Wow Priya amazing plan! You're suggesting that I do that and for the rest of my life fear what'll happen if they try to harm you again! I'm sorry I can't do that. Tum dono mera sab kuch ho. I will never risk your lives even if I have to go to jail. Tab bhi nahi. And there are no second thoughts about that.
Priya: Mr. Kapoor?
Ram(tears flowing from his eyes): Priya! I just want one promise from you.
Priya: No. I know what you'll ask and the answer is no.
Ram(voice breaking): Priya please! If I go to jail promise me Pihu ko nahi bataogi tum that I'm her father. I don't want her heart to break at this age. I know kabhi na kabhi toh usse pata chalega hi. But please Priya! Promise me if that happens you'll leave India with her, settle down somewhere else and live happily.
Priya: No! How can you even say that! I did it once I won't do it again. Pihu loves you, unconditionally. I lo.... If I do that, anyways her heart's gonna break.
Ram: No. If I don't reach Goa in time she'll hate me again for breaking her promise.
Priya: No she won't hate you even then. She'll think something happened. Don't say these things please.
Ram: What should I do Priya? I can't, I won't do what you suggested. It's not a foolproof idea. Mujhe uss deal ke lia haa nahi karni chahiye thi.
Priya: It's not your fault. Agar main kuch din baad aati toh yeh sab shayad nahi hota.
Ram: Priya stop blaming yourself for everything. I can't help but think what'll happen if...
Priya: Mr. Kapoor take a deep breath. We're overthinking it now.
Ram: I know we're but sometimes you've to decide from earlier and that's what we're doing.
Priya: Okay so that's settled, you are not doing what I told you and I'm not gonna do what you told me. I'm not leaving again. We'll plan something Mr. Kapoor! Don't worry please.
Ram: Priya...
Priya: No.
Ram: Tumhe jo karna hai karo. Maine kabhi roka nahi tumhe.
Priya: Taana mar rahe mujhe?
Ram: What do you expect me to say to this? We're talking about our child here Priya!
Priya: I know that very well and I'm not lying to her again. She won't be happy if I do that. Taking her away from you was the worst decision that I had to take. I'm not doing that again. I think I made myself clear.
Ram was silent.
Priya: Mr. Kapoor kuch nahi hoga. Minister maan jayenge. Please aap yeh sab sochna bandh kije. You'll be in Goa by tomorrow. Think about that and do what you want to do as I know you won't listen to me.
Ram: Tum kabse itna optimistic bann rahi ho.
Priya: 5 years of practice. Do you think it's easy to make Pihu believe we're in an adventure always!
Ram chuckled a little.
Ram: And she believed you each time?
Priya: Well she's a 4 year old after all. But yeah it always made me worried as maybe in a year she would not believe any of it.
Ram took a deep breath.
Ram: Kuch nahi hoga. I'm here. I'll make the minister understand Priya.
Priya: Hmm...
Ram: Okay I think it's time for me to get ready. Krish will be waiting.
Priya: Police Station?
Ram: Hmm.
Priya: You are okay right? I mean they're..
Ram: They were Priya. They were my family. And Yes I'm perfectly fine. Honestly I feel relieved.
Priya: Okay.
Ram: Toh main jaun adventure ke lia?
Priya laughed.
Priya: Yeah. Be safe and don't take stress. Don't try to handle them alone. Yeh jo har waqt hero banne ki apki tendency hai don't give in to it.
Ram: Toh you accept that I'm a hero.
Priya rolled her eyes.
Ram: Stop rolling your eyes Priya I know you're doing it and answer my question.
Priya smiled widely.
Priya: Aapki yeh bachkani questions ke jawab nahi hai mere paas. Please go now.
Ram: Huh!
Priya: Mr. Kapoor please be safe. I'm serious. Don't overdo it.
Ram: Okay Priya. I'll be safe. Tum tension mat lo. And I'll be there by tomorrow. Bye...
Priya: Bye...
Ram cut the call even though he didn't want to. They felt a little calm after talking to each other.