66. Therapy Session 4: Ram's Insecurities

Ram started to get scared out of his wits as the clock struck at 6:58 pm. He had a 7 pm appointment with Tara. He was terrified because of three things in particular- 1) He had to confess what happened, 2) He was scared to get scolded from Tara for leaving like that the other day, and 3) Priya wasn't with him there so he felt lonely.

Ram was sitting on a one-seater that was kept outside of Tara's chamber. As the clock struck 7 Ram heard the door opening. His eyes turned towards the door and he saw Tara standing there, with her lips pressed together. He instantly lowered his gaze.

Tara: Aa jao.

Ram entered the chamber still lowering his head. Tara sat on her chair and asked Ram to sit on the sofa. He sat down without making a sound. Tara kept looking at him for some time before speaking up.

Tara: Thik ho tum?

Ram gently shook his head.

Tara: Ram look at me.

Ram didn't have it in him to look at her.

Tara: Ram jo bhi hua ho this is a safe space aur main yahan tumhe help karne hi baithi hui hoon. Please look at me.

A little later Ram finally looked at her and Tara saw his eyes brimming with tears.

Tara(passing him the tissue box): Ram hua kya hai? Pichle din bhi aise nikal gaye. Maine kitna bulaya. Roka tumhe.

Ram started whimpering while trying to talk to her.

Ram(in a cracking voice): I'm...sorry. Pri...Priya...baat...nahi...kar rahi...m-mujhse. M-mujhse....mujhse...gal...galti...ho gayi.

Tara looked at him empathetically

Tara: It's okay. It's okay. Calm down. Calm down. I understand. Priya baat nahi kar rahi tumse aur tum dukhi ho isliye. I understand. Okay. Calm down. Sab thik ho jayega.

A little later Ram's cries lessened a bit. Tara gave him a chocolate.

Tara: You'll get only one chocolate today because you left like that 2 days back.

Ram pouted and then started eating the chocolate and it made him feel a little bit better.

Tara: Ab batao. What happened? If I'm not wrong it's related to your anxiety attack the other day.

Ram gave a gentle nod to her.

Ram(lowering his head): Tumne uss din poocha tha...ke...kyun...mujhe...umm...laga ke...umm...

He couldn't complete the sentence.

Tara: Ke Priya ne tumpe cheat kiya hai. Haan mujhe yaad hai. Aur usse tumhe kuch yaad aaya. Haina?

Ram nodded and let out a deep sigh.

Tara: Kya yaad aaya tha tumhe?

Ram: Tara...I...I...made a...huge...mis-mistake. Huge.

A frown formed on Tara's forehead. Ram looked at her for a second and then lowering his head started to tell what really happened in a trembling voice.

He told her what happened outside the jail that day, what things did Nandini tell him, and how he told that to Priya.

Tara's frown deepened every moment as Ram kept telling her what happened after what.

Ram went silent after telling her everything. Tara took some seconds to understand everything and then took a deep breath. She stood up and went near her cupboard and taking out a file she started to check the notes she made on their previous sessions.

Tara: How did she take it? Kuch kaha usne sunne ke baad?

Ram shook his head.

Ram: Kuch nahi. Hum mere study room mein the jab maine yeh sab kaha Priya se. Aur woh chali gayi doosre room mein. Maine bulaya usse...bohot baar par darwaza nahi khola usne.