70. A Misunderstanding

Ram went inside the doctor's cabin and sat on a chair.

Ram: Doctor Priya thik hai na? Kya memory loss....

Ram couldn't even talk properly.

Doctor: I don't think so. There's no head injury. It might be because she's under chronic stress plus she was on Antidepressants. They can cause side effects.

Ram lowered his head. The doctor was trying to lower his stress but nothing made him feel good.

Ram: Ab kya?

Doctor: We have to wait till she wakes up. I hope tab tak there'll be some changes. We'll do an MRI if this continues to happen.

Ram nodded with a heavy heart.

Doctor: Mr. Kapoor we'll need to run some tests. Mrs. Kapoor's BP is still low. Did she experience blood pressure fluctuations a lot?

Ram: Mujhe nahi pata Doctor.

Ram began to told her that he wasn't present during her pregnancy and after that also. The doctor listened to everything with her lips pressed together in a thin line.

Doctor(with a sigh): Okay. Then I suggest doing a full body checkup as we don't know what kind of treatment she might have got during her pregnancy. We'll be able to detect if something is wrong. Is there anyone who can help me with her medical history?

Ram: Ek second...

He called Krish and asked him to come to the doctor's chamber. A minute later Krish entered and took a seat beside Ram.

Ram: This is Krish Dixit. He can help you with all the information.

Ram felt extremely ashamed that he didn't even know what his wife went through, about her medical history or anything in particular. He remembered how Priya handled the doctor when he fell sick before Diwali 5 years ago. He could see where he was lacking. He didn't care about her health. He knew she was pregnant. He should've forcefully got her out of jail and not get manipulated by Nandini.

The doctor's voice brought him into reality.

Doctor: Mr. Dixit did Mrs. Kapoor experience blood pressure fluctuations often? Do you know about this?

Krish: Mujhe kuch saal pehle ka toh itna nahi pata par pregnancy ke time Priya ka blood pressure low hi rehta tha. And it would reach high levels when she experienced panic attacks.

Ram grabbed the corner of the table tightly to keep himself steady.

Doctor: Any other kind of problem that she faced?

Krish: The doctor who used to do her checkup always complained that she wasn't gaining enough weight. Hoga bhi kaise the food wasn't appropriate for a pregnant woman. At first I arranged someone to deliver nutritious meal for her but then suddenly the officers started to complain that it was inequality and the others are not getting "high-profile treatment"...arey others aren't pregnant of course Priya would need different kind of diet. So they only allowed to send her home-cooked meals once a week.

The doctor nodded while Ram turned his face to the other side and listened to everything silently. He couldn't believe what cruelty Priya had to face when she was supposed to be taken care of by him. The fact that she didn't get the bare-minimum care, made him feel that he was unworthy of her. She never said anything, endured every pain that came towards her. He failed her in ways that he could never be able to compensate in his lifetime. He understood that.

Doctor: Okay. I think this is enough information. We are going for a full body checkup. Is that okay Mr. Kapoor?

Ram nodded to the doctor.