42. The House Hunt

After making Pihu sleep Priya went out of the room, searching for Ram. Not finding him upstairs she went to the terrace and saw him standing with a glass whiskey, untouched, contemplating whether to drink it or not.
Priya walked towards him. Ram turned listening to the footsteps and got so shocked to see Priya that he jumped, taking some steps back.
Priya frowned deeply seeing his reaction.
Priya: What happened?
Ram: Nothing. I got scared.
Priya: What? Why?
Ram(looking away): I was not drinking.
Priya: You can drink a little. Your physician told you yesterday. Cutting down the amount. You don't have to stop drinking completely. If that doesn't work then medicines of course and they have side effects. You know that. Don't you?
Ram nodded.
Priya: You can have it it's fine.
Ram took a sip of his whiskey after listening to her.
Ram: I feel like a vampire you know jo Twilight mein the.
Priya scrunched her nose in annoyance.
Priya: Woh kya hai?
Ram: Movie hai yaar! Twilight bhi nahi dekhi!
Priya(rolling her eyes): Why do you feel like a vampire?
Ram: Umm...so it that movie they showed that Vampires, the good ones actually, suck the blood from the animals that keep them sustained for some days. Then when they feel thirsty again, they hunt.
Priya: Ew! Mujhe nahi sunna aur. Samajh gayi aapki analogy main.
Ram laughed seeing her disgusted expression.
Priya: Kya kya movies dekhte hain!
Ram: It's a love story Priya.
Priya lifted one eyebrow then rolled her eyes.
Priya: Mujhe phir bhi nahi sunna.
Ram shook his head, smiling.
Ram: Do you want some?
Priya(looking at him sideways): No thanks.
Priya looked at the dark sky. It was cloudy so the stars could not be seen.
Priya: Pihu scared me today again.
Ram looked at her, sadly.
Ram: Priya usse toh bass khelna tha.
Priya: Haan khelna tha I know but kisine bhi usse roka nahi. Mana kiya par nahi suna usne toh ruk gaye sab ke sab?
Ram sighed.
Priya: You are also supporting saying khel rahi thi!
Ram: Priya I really don't know how to get angry with Pihu? Mujhe kabhi kabhi yeh samajh nahi aata ke maine usse Sara Vikrant ki engagement pe aise baat ki!
Priya: Mr. Kapoor aisa hua toh it's really not possible to leave her with others in this house! Maine socha tha Tarun at least strictly handle karega Pihu ko but no! I need to make him understand that it's not right!
Ram: Priya! Priya! Priya! Look at me! Take a deep breath!
Priya(glaring): You take a deep breath!
Mujhe tension ho rahi hai yahan!
Ram: Priya. Achha batao kya soch rahi ho tum?
Priya: Mujhe bohot darr lagta hai Pihu ko leke.
Ram: Pihu sab ke saath khelna tha. Ha sab bimaar pad sakte hain I agree. Usne baat nahi maani I agree to that also. But Priya ek baat hai Pihu itne saal tumhare saath rahi hai uske pehle Krish ke saath. She has never seen so many people around her. She is trying to enjoy with them in her own way. Ab dekho baarish se pyaar ki pehchan Pihu ko tumne karayi hai. The way she was talking about baarish with such a joy made me remember myself, our beautiful memories.
Priya smiled nodding.
Priya: I just fear...
She couldn't complete her sentence.
Ram: I get it. You don't have to say it.
Priya sighed loudly.
Ram held her hand and slowly wrapped his arms around her. Priya hugged him tightly as her fears started overwhelming her.
Ram: Priya we will do everything in our power to protect Pihu.
Priya: Do you think I'm overreacting?
Ram: Priya hamare experiences hi aise hain rahe hain ke main isse unnecessary fear bhi nahi keh sakta. I don't think it'll ever go away.
Priya: No it won't.
They stood there, hugging each other, giving each other the solace they both needed.

After some time,
Priya: Main neeche jaati hoon.
Ram: Main bhi aata hoon.
Priya looked at his unfinished glass of whiskey.
Ram: I don't wanna finish that. Oh...tum jao mujhe yeh bottle chipani hai.
Priya chuckled, shaking her head.
Ram: Nahi koi bharosa nahi hai mujhe Pihu pe iss baat ke liye. Aake kahegi (mimicking Pihu) Papa what is this? Kitna pretty color hai! Orange orange! Mujhe bhi peena hai!
Priya burst into laughter listening to Ram.
Priya(still laughing): Oh my God!
Ram also laughed heartily with her.
Priya: I'll tell Pihu you were mimicking her.
Ram: Noooo! Please no Priya!
Priya: Mr. Kapoor aapko Pihu se darr lagta hai?
Ram: Toh kya? She's scary yaar yet damn smart! Kuch bhi bolo usse counter point ready hai hamesha.
Priya chuckled again.