41. Home 'Not So' Alone

Ram and Priya sat in the car. Ram started driving the car. Priya looked at him, he looked angry.
Priya: Are you angry with me?
Ram didn't answer, continued to drive.
Priya deeply sighed and looked outside the window.
Some moments later,
Ram: Kya sochke yeh kiya tumne?
Priya(confused): Kya?
Ram: Not taking the prescribed medication.
Priya: I already told why. Mr. Kapoor try to understand. Mujhe pata hai ke important hai medicines but that pill worked fine. I can take it whenever I need it. It doesn't make me a sloth. Pihu choti hai uske peeche peeche poora din bhagna padta hai mujhe. She's not that naughty but that doesn't mean I should sleep forgetting that she might pull off something that she shouldn't. Akele bahar chale jana, agar gir jaaye kahin, stove ke paas kuch na kare, scissors, knives se durr rakhna and so on. Tell me if is it possible for me to think about me when I know that she needs me?
Again tears started forming in her eyes. Ram stopped the car, parking it on the side of the road.
He held her right hand.
Ram: Priya I'm sorry. I should've understood your situation. But now you have me. I'll take care of you both. Others are also there. I can't see you suffering like this. We'll talk to the doctor and find something that suits you. Okay?
Priya looked into his eyes and saw concern in them for her. She nodded slightly.
Ram: Don't worry. Sab sort out kar lenge ek saath.
Priya nodded with a small smile.
Ram: And I'm sorry for leaving you on our wedding day. What I did was not for forgivable at all. You had to suffer a lot because of me. I'm sorry Priya. That was very very rude and insulting. I was so blind towards them that I lacked basic sensitivity towards you.
Priya(in almost inaudible voice): It's okay.
Ram: Mujhe tumhe kuch batana hai.
Priya: Kya?
Ram: Mujhe baad mein pata chala tha ke Shubham drive kar raha tha. (Priya's eyes widened in shock) I confronted him. He was very disrespectful towards you. But then....Nandini Kapoor ne mujhe woh prawns milane wala video dikhaya and she manipulated me again to break Shivi's marriage with Akki. I...I got really stressed because of that.
Priya: And woh sangeet night wali baat aap bhul gaye. Haina?
Ram lifted his hand from her hand and looked downwards feeling really shameful of himself.
Priya: Main galat thi Ishaan ko protect karne mein aur phir MS ka proof delete hone ke baad I didn't tell you. It was my mistake. Par aapne bhi sab kuch honestly nahi kia. Shubham ko aise hi jaane diya, Vedika ne aapke saamne kaha ke usne Anjali ko paise diye Akki ko fasane ko, you kept protecting Shubham in drink and drive cases for the last 5 years because he was grieving which is of course not true, ek criminal ko jail se nikalte hain jisne aapko marne ki koshish ki, jisko maine arrest karwaya. Aap unhe bail karane gaye because aapki pyaari meera ma ko unke abusive husband jisne unhe buri tarah se cheat kia unke saath vrat todna tha.
Maanti hoon ke inn sab mein kisiki zindagi khatre mein nahi thi par yeh sab bhi toh galat hi hai na!
Ram sighed loudly while Priya looked outside not looking at him. He also looked out of the window thinking about Sandy and how she was no less than Shivi to him. She should've protected her. Something really big could've happened to her that day because of Shubham. He was drunk that day also he remembered.
He picked up his phone and dialed the number of the criminal lawyer who was handling Nandini, Shubham and Vedika's cases.
Ram: Hello. Advocate Joshi? Ram Kapoor here.
Advocate: Yes Mr. Kapoor.
Ram: On 29th September, 2021 Shubham Kapoor got drunk and was driving his car and almost ran over my sister Sandy. CCTV footage bhi shayad mil jayega hume. Please add that too.
Advocate: Okay. Thank you for informing me.
Ram: Thank you so much.
He cut the call and looked outside the window. Priya heard everything looking at him.
Priya: He anyways is going to get lifetime imprisonment.
Ram(still looking outside the window): Doesn't matter. I still want this issue to be addressed in court. Sandy mere liye Shivi se kam nahi hai Priya. Meri galtiyon ki wajah se usko justice na mile aisa nahi hona chahiye. Mujhe apni galtiyan sudhaarni hai.
Priya looked at him sadly and felt guilty for giving him a list of fuckups he did in the past.
Priya: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have told you all that.
Ram(turned to her): Now you are feeling guilty for telling me where I went wrong? Yeh hi karte hain ab se roz....ek dusre ki galtiyan ginwayenge then sorry feel karenge for making each other go through that. Good plan! You know what we should make a list together ek taraf meri galtiyan, ek taraf tumhari then mathe pe chipka denge toh jab mirror dekhenga yaad aayega kya kya kiya hai.
Priya started laughing throwing her head on the head rest. Ram looked at her annoyed.
Ram: Ispe hasna nahi tha I'm genuinely irritated.
Priya(trying hard not to laugh but failing): I....am...sorry. I'm...imagining it. And it's....really...funny.
Ram was annoyed but seeing Priya's childish laugh, her hand on her mouth, eyes almost close just felt breathtaking to him.
"Tumhare pyaar mein roz roz aur girne ki aadat ho chuki hai ab toh. Tumhe aise hi haste huye dekhna chahta hoon Priya. Hamesha.", Ram thought with a small smile, looking at her dreamily.
Priya opened her eyes, still laughing and saw Ram staring at her. She stopped laughing and smiled at him. Ram smiled back at her.
Ram: Tum gussa ho na mujhpe?
Priya(shaking her head): Nahi.
Ram: Kyun?
Priya: Because every bad thing that happened to you is related to me.
Ram: Every good thing that happened to me is related to you also. Yes bad things happened and they're related to you but none of it is your fault. Pihu ko mujhse durr rakhne la blame bhi main tumhe nahi de sakta. She would've never been safe in KM in their presence.
Priya: Par woh galat tha. You missed out on a lot because of me.
Ram: I don't know what would've happened if you didn't lie to me that day. Pihu ussi ghar mein rehti unke saath aur pata nahi uske saath woh log kya kya karte! I don't even want to think about it now Priya. Mujhe darr lagta hai sochke bhi.
Yes I would give my everything to have that time back jahan tum jail mein nahi ho, main tumhara khayal rakh raha hoon, tumhari comfortable pregnancy, Pihu ko pehli baar dekhna, sab kuch! (Holding her hand) I wish we could have that all back Priya.
Priya kept her other hand over his hand and gave him a small sad smile. Ram smiled back at her.
Priya: Ghar chalein?
Ram(nodding): Hmmm.
Ram started driving the car.