𝟎𝟏. 𝐑𝐔𝐍, 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋!

For as long as she could remember, Mavie had never believed in the existence of heaven or hell. For her, the sins that people commit were paid for on earth, serious or not. Mavie Jaeger, at the time, was just 9 years old, as was her twin brother, Eren.

The day was beautiful and the sun was already setting behind the walls, soon the night would start and several stars would light up the sky next to the moon. Watching the starry nights was this lonely and friendless little girl's favorite pastime. However, that late afternoon, she felt something strange in her chest, a feeling that something bad was about to happen. But Mavie ignored it, after all, she was probably feeling that way because of the little argument that went on between her mother and her brother, which caused a tense atmosphere between them.

After the fight, Eren ran out of the house and Mikasa went after him to not let him get into trouble, as the boy was very explosive whenever he got upset about something.

For some time, Eren had been talking to his sister and friends about enlisting and becoming a soldier. The boy wanted with all his heart to be part of the survey corps and see the world beyond the walls. However, Mavie thought this was sheer idiocy, why would anyone want to leave the comfort of living away from the titan menace? This was absurd.

Eren was impulsive and was always getting into trouble wherever he went, involving Mikasa and Armin, who had to bear the consequences of the young Jaeger's reckless acts.

Mavie, on the other hand, was a quieter and more reserved child, preferring to stay at home and help with household chores or simply read her father's books, after all, she was passionate about reading and one of her dreams was to become a writer, even if it was difficult. Sometimes Mavie would go along with Grisha when the man was out for work. While he was with his patients, his daughter strolled through bookstores and read as many books as she could. Reading was one of his passions.

Distracted by her thoughts, little Mavie didn't even notice when her mother, Carla, came up behind her and surprised her with a warm hug, drawing a wide smile from her thin, reddened lips. Buoyed by the surprise hug, Mavie turned slowly to look into her mother's eyes, who, like her, was smiling gently.

- Can you go after Eren and Mikasa, honey? It's almost dusk. - Carla asked gently, stroking her daughter's hair.

- Of course! I'll be back! - she replied, breaking free of that embrace and running in the same direction her brother had gone.

[...]

Wide-eyed, Mavie was led away from her home by a soldier as she watched her mother's silhouette disappear as the two walked away from the place where their home used to be. Mavie was crying and screaming for mercy, begging this unknown man to let her save her mother and look for her brother, as she was already desperate for the boy to be alive or not. As it was being carried, his vision was a mess due to the rocking, but it was still possible to see the chaos that had become the Shingashina District, with murderous titans invading the walls and destroying everything around them, especially people's lives who lived there.

In her thoughts, the faces of Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Carla and Grisha, were hovering in her mind, the only thing that could calm her at that moment was knowing that everyone except her mother was safe and well. The thick tears started to make her vision a little blurred and she could no longer understand what was happening around her, she was only tormented by the cries for help and fear of the residents of Shingashina, who were doing their best to escape and save their loved ones lives of an tragic end.

- If you keep hitting each other, we'll both fall! - the soldier shouted, waiting for Mavie to obey his order.

- Why did you leave her there!? We could save her if we tried together! - he replied sadly, he was talking and sobbing at the same time.

- There would be no time, girl! The titans were approaching!

Mavie couldn't believe what was happening, was this all real? Were all those people being cruelly killed? It was a lot to deduce. It would be years before she could get over so much misfortune, that is, if she could.

Terrified, the girl snuggled into that soldier's arms and closed her eyes tightly, whispering to herself that this was all a nightmare and that soon she would wake up, seeing that things were normal and everything was fine. However, this wasn't a bad dream, it was all real. All. Her mother was dead, her father was far away and her brothers weren't around, the chances of the two of them being devoured were high and that only made her more and more disturbed.

- I want my mother... - Mavie muttered, feeling her heart thudding desperately in her chest.

After nearly 15 minutes of running and dodging possible titan attacks, the soldier finally stopped running and set Mavie down on the ground, looking her over from head to toe to make sure the little one wasn't injured, and luckily, she had. just a few small scratches and bruises. barely visible on your hands and face.

With her eyes fixed on the floor, the little girl was still trying to process everything she had witnessed. People being devoured, crushed, blood spilled everywhere, bodies torn apart on the floor, not to mention the agonizing stench that lingered in their nostrils. It was all so... scary.

- Listen, girl... We're close to the harbor... So please be nice and hold on tight to your uncle, let's go straight to the walls. We won't have time to get there, we'll be caught before then. - he said, bending to his height.

- Up... From... Walls...?

- Yes, let's go!

- No! - she yelled, pushing the man in front of her hard, hearing him mutter some curses directed at her.

Annoyed by Mavie's childish attitudes, the soldier thought about leaving her behind and running away alone, however, just as he was about to do what he wanted, another deafening boom rang out in the Shingashina District, and as he looked to see the which it was, he felt his legs give way when he saw a 50-foot titan next to them. However, what really caught his attention was how different this titan was from everyone else he had seen. His skin was covered in armor and his eyes sparkled as if thousands of golden diamonds were there.

- Holy shit... - whispered the soldier, gripping the girl's hands tightly, running away with her.

- What was that!? - she asked screaming, her eyes were fixed on that man's face.

- It's a freak! Run faster! - he begged Mavie, who gave in and obeyed.

That day, Mavie was finally able to understand everything Eren was saying and understood that the boy, despite being very young, was always right about the walls and the titans. Now, what was left for her was to cry and hug her own body when she felt alone, after all, that's how she was, alone. Mavie bitterly regretted never having made friends or always choosing to stay home rather than go out and play with the other kids... Mavie finally understood that she was just existing. Her life could end at any moment, and she hadn't even made the most of it.