𝟏𝟓. 𝐓𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑.

An hour had passed since the moment Mavie lost her colleagues and instructors, the cold was consuming her little by little, she no longer felt right in her hands or feet, it was as if everything was being frozen as time passed. . Her eyes filled with tears, Mavie was fearing the worst and couldn't think straight, not when there was a possibility that she would die in that place, far from everything and everyone, completely alone. One of her biggest fears was about to come true: dying alone, with no one to be by her side, on her deathbed.

Without strength and with her stomach growling loudly with hunger, the black haired girl fell to her knees on the floor, unable to bear the cold and fatigue that took over her entire being. "Will it be like this, then?", she thought, as her weakened body fell to the ground. Mavie did her best to stay on her feet until help arrived, however, given that storm, it would be difficult for anyone to come looking for her.

- No one would risk themselves to save a single person, especially when it comes to a hindrance like me... – she murmured weakly, feeling his lips hurt with every slightest movement.

At that moment, Mavie had already given up fighting to stay alive, she was already at her limit, her body couldn't take it anymore. Lying on the ground and feeling the snow little by little cover her small body until she was submerged in that place, Mavie remembered everything she had passed until that day, just as she did in 845, when the Shingashina District was invaded and the Wall Mary, destroyed. However, this time, the girl had good memories to remember, she had good times to remember and dear friends to say goodbye mentally, feeling her life slowly slipping away.

For a moment, she thought of Reiner and wondered if he would be saddened by her departure. Tenderly, Mavie remembered all the times the two of them had been together, how they had fun while training, the way Reiner showed care for her, or how he was always there to save her from herself. The brunette wished she'd felt him one last time… It would be so good. It would be cozy to feel Reiner's strong arms around her body, warming her in the cold.

- It's... It's over... – her eyes were closing very slowly, as she no longer had the strength or desire to keep them open.

As her eyes closed, Mavie could see, a little away from her, someone running towards her. Because her vision was blurry, the black haired girl couldn't identify who was coming to her, but she would be eternally grateful to that person for having remembered her and for ignoring all the obstacles that existed to save her from a slow death. Abruptly, Mavie was taken off the floor and carried on her lap, with the same person screaming for her, however, the brunette couldn't speak or stay awake, losing her consciousness once and for all.

[...]

Reiner, as soon as he realized that someone was missing, despaired when he realized Mavie wasn't among them. When he tried to go out to look for her, his instructors stopped him from going, saying that that snowstorm could kill them both frozen and that was reason enough for him to throw everything in the air and leave the cabin, leaving in search of his friend. lost. Eren had begged to go along, after all, it was his sister, his only family, the fear of losing her was making him freak out, however, Reiner asked Mikasa to hold him inside, as it would be dangerous for many of them to leave. , so he ended up going alone looking for Mavie, mentally hoping the brunette was still alive.

When he saw her lying on the ground and almost being covered by snow, Reiner couldn't contain his despair and ran as fast as he could towards the almost lifeless body of Mavie Jaeger. As soon as he took her in his arms, he quickly brought the girl's chest to his ear, being able to hear her heart beating so weakly, it almost stopped. Worried, he lifted his body forward, taking in every part of him thoroughly, so he could be sure that, despite everything, Mavie was okay.

His eyes got teary, Reiner felt a huge weight on his conscience, nothing made him stop thinking that all the bad things that happened to her were a consequence of everything that had happened 5 years ago.

After walking for a while looking for shelter, Braun found a house that, due to its appearance and the place it was located, must have been abandoned. Not having much choice of what to do, Reiner decided to invade that property and stay there until the storm ended, otherwise, the two could have the misfortune of getting lost again and dying for good, without even being able to go to camp or return to home. the HQ. As soon as he entered that house, the blonde immediately tried to look for the room that seemed to be the warmest and most comfortable to spend the night with Mavie, who remained unconscious in his lap.

- Why do things have to be so difficult when it comes to the two of us? I can never keep up with you, even though I'm faster than you. – Reiner questioned the girl, who couldn't answer him at that moment.

Carefully, the blonde placed her on the floor, looking tenderly at the youngest's tired face. Mavie still looked downcast. Her hair was a little messy and her face remained smeared with snow, which made Reiner work up the courage to clean it up and brush the messy strands out of her face, revealing some small scars on her cheeks and forehead, a result of all the times injured in DMT training. Reiner looked around and stopped to analyze that small residence, noticing that there was a fireplace, having the idea of ​​lighting it and heating them during the time they stayed there.

[...]

A few hours passed and the cold seemed to get worse by the minute, Reiner was freezing inside and he was afraid Mavie would feel the same way. The fireplace was lit and giving off a good amount of heat, however, it wasn't enough to warm them both. Reiner took a quick look at the youngest and was surprised to see her slowly open her eyes, then get up with a little difficulty and sit down, looking at everything around her, not understanding anything. The moment Mavie saw him, a strong despair took over her body as she remembered everything that had happened and deducing why they were in that apparently abandoned house.

Without thinking twice, Reiner went over to the brunette and hugged her tightly, almost crying. He would never forgive himself if she ended up dying in that cold or got sick for the same reason. Jaeger didn't understand the reason for that sudden hug at a time like that, however, she didn't deny it, she just returned it with the same intensity.

- I thought you'd never wake up again... – Reiner whispered next to her ear, making her blush instantly.

‐ You shouldn't have come after me… – she scolded him for his reckless act, however, she was glad he was there.

- If I hadn't arrived in time, you would be dead. Is this what you wanted, to die?

- It would be better, so I wouldn't continue to be a dead weight for you and being a laughing stock to the people in the class! – Mavie answered him rudely, her expression gave away the sadness she felt.

Reiner never really knew how the little girl felt about the jokes they made with her or if she really felt good being with him for training, considering that many saw that with bad eyes. Mavie didn't talk about her feelings, her tears always spoke for themselves, however, Reiner didn't know the reason for her crying and the reasons that led to do it.

- You're not a dead weight for me. – Braun said, holding the brunette's face with both hands, bringing his eyes to hers.

- We're going to freeze to death here, Reiner. We're going to die and it's all my fault. – the youngest stammered, some tears were already rolling down her flushed cheeks.

- As long as I'm here, nothing bad will happen to you.