𝟖𝟓. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐈𝐒.

Mavie sat on her bed and began to shake, break into a cold sweat and lose control of her breathing, while holding her hands up to her head, feeling completely stunned by the situation. She didn't know what she would do to leave; I couldn't contact Zeke at that moment, nor could Eren. She was completely alone with this man who could wake up at any moment and, once he was bigger and stronger than her, could take her without any problems to the authorities or worse, kill her right there, where no one could save her. Mavie thought about Falco, about what she would do towards him, about how he would react when he found out that she was a person from Paradis infiltrated in Marley. He was afraid that this could affect him in a certain way, tarnishing the Grice family's reputation once again. His eyes trembled as he stared at Reiner, tied up a little away from him, still unconscious, but with his wounds almost healed and with the bullets already spitting out of the holes they had made in him.

The Jaeger felt her entire body shiver, as if a shock had gone through her entire interior, making her even more nervous about it. Years of planning would go down the drain because of her, all because she didn't want to listen to the only request that Zeke had made of her, which was for her own safety and, out of pure pranks, Mavie had chosen not to listen to him and continue with their friendship. with Falco. Of course, the boy was not at all to blame for that, after all, he didn't even know his true identity, and she recognized that it had been her mistake not to have given him another name or to introduce herself only with the false surname, Krüger, just like his twin brother. have done. What would become of her? And Falco? What would his brothers do when they found out that he had, in fact, mentioned her to Reiner? Mavie was being bombarded by doubts and fears, feeling increasingly guilty about young Grice's compromised future. She was sure that Eren wouldn't do anything to hurt him, as the blonde had never seen them together or related them in any way. However, what about Zeke? Mavie didn't know him well enough to draw her own conclusions, and that was what made her tremble at the base.

In the midst of her troubled thoughts, she quickly remembered hours ago, when she had heard two military men talking about warships that had docked in the port of Marley and small boats that were off the coast of the country, hidden in case of an evacuation. of emergency. The black-haired woman looked at her bag again and got up from the bed, then walked to her closet. Mavie was determined. She would run away that night. She would flee that wretched nation that had caused her so much harm. She thought that perhaps she was rushing into doing that, however, she could no longer wait for new orders from her brothers or until Reiner woke up from his fainting spell to tell her what he would do with her. Mavie needed to get out of there as soon as possible and find a way to fake her own death, to deceive both Braun and Falco and everyone in Libério who knew her, after all, that would be less painful than the discovery that, in fact, she never it was one of them, on the contrary.

Hastily, she began to remove all her clothes and stuff them into her bag. Then he ran to the nightstand next to his bed, opened the drawer and took out his test results. Then he looked at the paper in his hands and swallowed. Mavie crumpled the sheet and threw it in a random corner of the room. Then, he ran to Reiner and untied him, concentrating all his strength in his arms and legs to carry him away. When she thought about the moment she would meet him again, she never imagined it would be in such an inopportune way. The Jaeger felt her heart accelerate when she felt the blonde man's body so close to hers. Although it wasn't the way she wanted to be with him, whether she wanted it or not, that unconscious person behind her back was him, Reiner Braun, the one who caused her so much harm and also made her feel like never before.

Her feelings towards Reiner had long been confused, and she no longer knew how she felt about him. I didn't know if it was love, hate or pity. Love for everything he made her believe in, for the nights of love, for the kind words and for the care he once showed for her, as well as for being the only pillar she could hold on to while everyone disbelieved in her. Hatred for the lie, for the falsehood, for the pain that had caused him, as well as the lives he had taken on orders from a nation that did not see him as human but as a weapon, a weapon that had no other function than to massacre other places for the honor and glory of Marley. And pity, for all the pain he carried in his eyes, for his regrets, for the years of his life that he was forced to give so that he could save Eldians from the prejudice, the disgust, the repulsion they felt towards them. Mavie wanted to not feel anything for him, not even anger, but it was impossible, so impossible that it hurt. In the end, she remained the same naive and scared little girl she always was and always will be.