𝟕𝟔. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐑.

About half a year had passed since Mavie had managed to avoid serving a sentence or facing execution. Although the persecutions against her and Hunter had not stopped completely, the young woman still felt calm for having enjoyed a little peace since the day she had gone through the trial in court. Her hair had grown out a bit, reaching past her shoulders, and now Mavie no longer wore bangs or a stray lock of hair in her face. She felt a small difference in herself, both in appearance and inside. It had been a while since the brown-eyed brunette felt different from the person she used to be. However, despite the change she had gone through, she was still the same girl and would soon become a woman, as she was close to coming of age. Something made him believe that it would be just another full year, considering that since the age of 9 Mavie had needed to act like an adult to take care of herself, her siblings and friends.

When the Jaeger rejoined its friends at the Reconnaissance headquarters, it also had the opportunity to meet those who came from across the sea, calling themselves allies of the Eldians of the Isle of Paradis. Mavie couldn't remember the names of all of them, nor did she sympathize with most, but there were two that particularly caught her eye: Yelena and Onyankopon. Yelena was an Eldian infiltrated among the Marleyan military, disguised as a man, with the purpose of following Zeke Jaeger's orders and reaching the walls. Onyankopon, on the other hand, in Mavie's eyes, was a remarkably peculiar man and unlike any she had ever known. Although both soldiers had aroused the young woman's interest, it was that man who attracted her the most, precisely because he was not like the other human beings she knew. His dark skin intrigued, confused, and delighted her. Her eyes gleamed at that military man as he explained to her how diverse people could be from each other.

She pondered: "to what extent have we been deprived of enjoying the wonders this world can offer us?", and this left her deeply disheartened. The people of the walls were deprived of knowing and learning so many things that it was truly humiliating; Mavie hated how subdued they were compared to the rest of the world. However, if those people coming from Marley were really willing to help in the development of the island, things would start to progress quickly for all of them, and soon they could become a world power, especially since they had two powerful titans in their hands: the Titan Founder and the Colossal Titan. Of course, powerful weapons against titans already existed and new ones were being produced, but it was almost certain that no one would dare to attack Paradis due to fear of the Roar of the Earth.

Everything seemed to be heading towards a new direction filled with dreams about to come true and hope for a better world. Mavie smiled gently as she looked up at the moon shining in the sky as the waves lapped at her feet. That blue expanse was magnificent to behold, especially in the starlight that reflected off the water and danced with the waves. How dare she think of dying and trying against her own life before seeing the sea with her own eyes and feeling it touch her body? How foolish it had been. When she first saw him, Mavie thought she was dreaming until she filled her hand with that salty water and tasted it, feeling the taste of salt spread throughout her mouth. That day, tears involuntarily welled up in his eyes, not out of sadness, anger or happiness, but for an undefined reason. The brunette didn't know how to explain the reason for that cry, perhaps she was surprised by that dazzling sight, or for any other reason so simple that it escaped her. All she knew was that she was enchanted by the sea.

- Why haven't you slept yet? – asked Floch, her voice rising above the sound of the waves.

- And why haven't you slept yet? – she replied with the same question, throwing him a teasing smile.

- I got up to look at the sea and, as I climbed the hill, I came across you. So I decided to come over here to talk to you.

- Oh, I understand. And answering your question: I still haven't slept because I'm sleepless and I came to do exactly the same as you. – Mavie replied, returning to appreciate the sea.