𝟎𝟗. 𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐀𝐋 𝐄𝐗𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

The workouts were getting more and more tense and the rest days were gradually decreasing, so it would just be direct training and no time off.

Keith went through heavy training and put the recruits in various risk situations, he didn't even care if he could cause deaths or serious injuries, the only thing that mattered was if his soldiers were ready for any kind of situation that came, after all, they didn't they could choose when or not to fight, they just had to go and that was it. Some had already gotten used to that routine, others had not and that was what made it difficult for them to accompany their colleagues.

Without a doubt, weight-carrying runs were the worst activity of all, but Keith Shadis said it was necessary, as they would never know when they would need to carry an injured teammate, and in the end, he was right.

Mikasa and Annie surprised all their opponents when they passed running at high speed next to each other, overtaking them. The two young women were considered one of the best cadets because of their skills, they were impeccable. Eren was upset that he couldn't get over Ackerman, but he was also proud of his step-sister, who was getting stronger and stronger. At the same time, Mavie was always falling behind, tripping, crashing into a tree or passing out from exhaustion, and as a result, she was the subject of bad jokes from the other recruits. She ignored them and even forgave those insults, however, she couldn't sleep well because she was always thinking about them.

That day, or rather that night, training was with the use of three-dimensional maneuvering devices, which was Jaeger's biggest weakness. With a little difficulty, Mavie put on her gear and then put on the rest of her uniform, just her jacket and a black glove to protect her hands from possible calluses. Despondent, she withdrew from her dorm and came face to face with Armin, who was waiting for her in the hallway. When she saw him, the brunette could see that he was moody and nervous, just like her.

- Are you discouraged? – she asked, even though she already knew what the answer would be that her friend would give her.

- Yes, you too?

- And put "disheartened" in it... – she complained, crossing her arms afterwards.

- Unfortunately we don't have much choice, but what to do? Let's get going. – Arlert said, trying hard to put on his best smile.

- I hope this training is quick, I'm dying of tiredness.

Together, they went outside the HQ, where they met up with Eren and Mikasa, who were already there waiting for the two of them. Mavie had the biggest dissatisfaction face of them all, and the Asian knew why, but decided not to say anything, otherwise it would end up worsening the little one's mood. Annoyed, the young woman tried not to listen to Keith's speech and focus her mind on something else, it was then that she remembered him, Reiner Braun. It had been a while since the two had talked and spent time together, Mavie wanted that again, but she didn't know how to get to him or how to be alone with him again. On tiptoe, she searched for Reiner's face among all her peers, finding him in a far corner, along with Bertholdt and Annie.

The three of them were almost always together, Mavie guessed it was because they both came from the same place. Oh, if she only knew... Maybe her naive heart wouldn't make her suffer so much.

[...]

A strong thud. Another thud against a tree and Mavie Jaeger went for the ground, using her arms to cover her eyes. When he saw her fall, Eren and Armin immediately ran towards her, while Mikasa landed beside her. Quickly, Ackerman lifted her up and sat her on the ground, leaning the brunette's back against the same tree she had bumped into minutes before. The moment Mavie turned her face to look at the other girl, she was startled by Mikasa's wide eyes on her, wondering why she was that way.