Chapter 58: Sanctuary Part: 2

Damon's POV

It was within the final weeks of Adrianna's pregnancy. She was weak, almost frail. She could barely blink. All tries of convincing her to take vampire blood had stopped. She wanted to go naturally and not wake up in transition.

Right now it was 2 in the morning. Adrianna was sleeping and I was sitting across the room in a chair. I was sleeping lightly, slowly lullabied by her breathing. I could hear Stefan and Elena downstairs. Elena was flipping through pages of a magazine while Stefan silently read a book. It was their turn to watch Adrianna.

Due to her extreme weakness, her body has been unable to handle the slightest of changes. Whether it's her going to the bathroom or even sitting up straight, her body cannot handle it. The worst thing that happens is that her heart stops beating. It usually occurs when she is sleeping or in a resting state. It restarts back to normal but with her pregnancy advancing, it takes longer to restart than it did.

I closed my eyes, breathing in and out, reminiscing about Adrianna and I. I shot my eyes open when i didn't hear the beats of her heart anymore and looked at her. She was laying on her back, her head propped by the pillow. Her heart stopped beating when the twins were feeding at the same time. Meredith explained that her heart was in shock, which slowed down the circulatory system.

I heard Stefan and Elena freeze too. We all waited anxiously for her heart to start back up again. After a minute, the silent thumps of her heart came back, awakening her in the process.

"Damon." She said groggily.

I vampire sped to her side and looked at her.

"Good morning." I whispered.

She placed her hand on my cheek and I leaned into it. "I love you." She whispered.

I smiled. "I love you too." I said.

I laid on her other side, spooning her into me. I took her hand and interlocked it, putting both of her hands on her stomach, watching her fall asleep quickly, as if nothing ever happened.