Chapter 21: Awkward

I froze in awe and shock. Staring back at me with an awkward smile was my father. “May I come in?” he asked. I breathed and nodded.

He stepped inside, leading himself into the living room. I just stared at him as he sat down on the couch, staring back at me.

“Why are you wearing that?” he asked.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked.

He sighed. “Look Addy, I just wanted to start over with you guys. I go to AA meetings and I got a job. I bought a plane ticket here…”

“You should’ve spent it much more wisely.” I said coldly. “I just wanted to see you, Adrian and your mother.” He said.

“Well, Adrian is gone and I haven’t seen my mother for 2 days.” I told him. “Shouldn’t you file a missing person report…?” “That’s not the point!” I snapped.

“Adrianna, please lets talk about this.” He suggested. “ I can’t, I’m late for school.” I said angrily.

I ran upstairs. I wondered if Damon could hear all of that. I quickly ran into my room. Damon wasn’t there.

Instead there was a small note and a rose. I picked it up and read. “Hey Adrianna, I got called for something. Sorry I can’t drop you off. I’ll pick you up after school, Damon.”

Seriously, it had a heart on it. I smiled at it then took a shower. I went downstairs after I got ready and caught my dad looking at family photos. “You can stay here till I get back.”I told him.

He nodded. “Adrianna, thank you.” He said.

I slightly nodded then left. School went by quickly. I didn’t tell anyone that my dad was here. I went outside after school and I saw him.

“Dad?” I asked.

He turned around.“What are you doing here?” I asked. “Waiting for you. I saw that you walked to school, so I rented a car and came here to pick you up.” He said gesturing to a gray sedan.

I sighed. Just then Damon drove up in his black ’67 Mustang. He rolled down the passenger window and gestured me to come to him. I looked at my dad.

“Dad, I appreciate the offer, but we’re still not close enough. I don’t really trust you.” I said solemnly.

He sighed. “Adrianna, are you sure…” “My ride is here.” I said pointing to Damon’s car.

He had now gotten out of the car and was leaning on the hood, glaring at my dad. “I have to go.” I told my dad.

I turned to leave, but I felt someone grab my arm. My dad didn’t let go. “Let go of me!” I yelled. “Adrianna, please. Take the ride with me.” He pleaded. “No! Let go of me!” I yelled again.

This seriously had to catch Damon’s attention. “Adrianna, get in the damn car right now!” he ordered.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Before I could reply, I heard Damon’s voice.

“Let go of her now.” He said darkly.

I looked at his face. He was staring at my father directly in the eye. My father stared blankly at Damon, then releasing my arm from his grip. “Adrianna, get in the car now.” Damon said without looking at me, but still staring at my dad.

I quickly ran to the car without looking back. I got inside, but I saw Damon saying something to my dad.

I sighed and looked at my arm. Small bruising dots were appearing on my arm from the finger tips from my dad. Then Damon came inside the car. “Hey, what were you talking to him for?” I asked.

“Just wanted to know who he is… are those bruises on your arm?” he asked concerningly.

“Yeah, they’re really small. I don’t really care right now.” I told him.

“Adrianna, he put those on you. How could you not care?” he asked.

There was a silence between us. “This isn’t the first time it happened?” he asked slowly.

I nodded. “I don’t want to go home.” I said to him. He leaned over and kissed my forehead and hugged me. “I promise, this will never happen again.” He told me. Then he began driving.