Chapter 64: Mourning Period

Damon's POV

I stared out at the darkness looming overhead. It was going to rain soon. I never understood why it would rain during funerals in the movies, but now I understand. The Earth was mourning along with us. One of it's precious creatures had passed and there was nothing it could do to bring them back; bring Adrianna back. It was customary to have a funeral when someone died, so that's what we were doing. It felt so unreal. To have her In my arms laughing and smiling to having to pick out the dress she was going to be buried in. I went from feeling sad and upset to angry and confused. I was angry at myself because I could've saved her. I swore on my life to save her at all costs, yet here she was laying in a coffin, cold and lifeless. Elena told me not to beat myself up about it, but it was my fault. If I didn't trust Katherine and let her have her way with me. Adrianna and I would be married by now. Klaus had the chance of getting her, but we would've given one hell of a fight.

"Damon, it's time. Are you ready?" Elena asked from the doorway.

I finished the last of the bourbon in the bottle and turned towards Elena. "You should carry an umbrella. Storm's coming." I told her as I walked past her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Adrianna was a good friend. I'll always remember her in my heart." Said the speaker. The rain was pouring down on us as we sat around Adrianna's grave. She hadn't been buried yet. Her coffin stood above ground level; a shiny dark finish complete with white roses on top. They were her favorite flower.

"Would anyone else like to say some words?" the priest asked.

It was silent. The only thing that made noise was the rain bouncing off our umbrellas and Caroline's constant sobbing.

"I would like to say something." Said a voice from the back.

My blood boiled as I heard who it was. All heads turned to the back. My heart pounded and my grip grew tighter around my umbrella handle as they came closer to the front. I took deep silent breaths, trying to calm myself and not attack them during my girlfriends funeral.

"Damon I'm sorry for you loss." Klaus said as he made eye contact with me.

I didn't look up to see him, knowing I would rip his head off right there. As he started his speech, I couldn't help but think about how Addy fell in love with this guy. He was the definition of the devil, yet here I was taking care of his spawn while he went around the world causing pain wherever he was. After he was done, he bent down and kissed the coffin and whispered words that only the vampires could hear.

"Adrianna, my true love, I'm sorry this happened to you. Please forgive me." And with that, Adrianna's body was put into the ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! This is a regular update to the story. I haven't moved out of my aunt's house yet, but i did find my book which has this entire story written in it from start to finish, so i'm now able to write. I just won't save it onto this computer because it isn't mine. Please comment and like! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! -jasmine