Chapter 40: Grounded

~Flashback~

We had both gone down to the waterfalls in the woods. It was a nice Saturday afternoon; the weather was cool and the sky was bright, although there was no sun. This was the perfect weather for a picnic. Adrianna had packed a lunch for us and we hiked towards the waterfall. It wasn’t that hard for me, but for her, it was the worst.

“Hey…can you slow down a minute?” she asked out of breath.

I laughed. “Are you tired already? It hasn’t even been 20 minutes.” I asked.

“Well, some of us aren’t vampires with superhuman strength and never ending energy. Humans get tired Damon. We get tired really easily.” She explained.

I just laughed at her comments and looked at her. “Do you wanna get there faster?” I asked her. “Yeah, that would be lovely.” She said smiling at me.

I picked her up and threw her over my shoulder and vampire sped up the hill. The whole time she was screaming and cursing at me and I couldn’t help but laugh at her. We arrived to the top and I put her down, but I couldn’t look at her because I was laughing so hard.

“What the hell was that? You could’ve warned me that you were going to freakin’ speed carry me through the forest!” she yelled.

She looked at me and started laughing too. After a huge laugh fest, we settled down and started eating. We talked and laughed. When we finished eating she pulled out the weirdest thing, a blood bag.

“Why do you have that?” I asked her. “I just thought you’d get a little vampire hungry or whatever after eating all that human food.” She explained. I just shrugged and she handed it to me.

“Thanks.” I told her. She just smiled sweetly. I opened the top. The aroma was amazing. I took a sip which turned into gulps. It ended too soon before I even wanted it to be over. I finished and put the empty bag down. I looked at Adrianna. She was looking at me, while eating her sandwich.

“I’m sorry. That must’ve been pretty horrible to watch.” I said. She nodded. “It was horrible. The thing that happens with your eyes, that’s scary to us humans. Although, it looks like you enjoyed it.” She said.

“Yeah, there was just something different about the blood. Probably the best I’ve ever drank. Everything about it was just right.” I told her. She smiled and opened a can of soda.

“Well, it’d better have been. That was my blood.” She said.

I was surprised. “Wait, what? Where did you even get it?” I asked. “The hospital obviously. I wanted to get it for you.” She replied.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because I wanted to. There doesn’t have to be a reason why.” She said smiling.

I realized that this was the perfect time to tell her how I felt about her. “Addy, can I tell you something?” I asked her. She put the food down and turned to look at me.

“I really like you. A lot. This whole thing you planned was wonderful and it made me realize how amazing you are.” I confessed.

She smiled and blushed a bit. “I feel the same way about you.” She replied. I looked up at her to see her look down at me.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” I asked quickly.

She laughed at how nervous I was. “Yes. I will be your girlfriend.” She replied. Without a second going by, I raised myself to her level and placed my lips on hers.