Chapter 41: Try Again

“Hey Damon.” She said.

Katherine appeared at my doorstep once again. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

She casually let herself in as always. “I just wanted to know how you were doing.” She said as she poured herself a drink.

“You wanted to know how I was doing? After what you did to Adrianna and I and how it fucked up my life, you want to know how I’m doing?” I asked in disbelief.

“Well I’m sorry for caring. It’s just a question Damon.” She said sipping her drink. I sighed angrily as she took a seat on the couch. “Please Katherine, tell me why you’re really here.” I asked calmly.

She stared at me for a while before answering, “I came to see if you’d like to travel with me.” She said.

“No.” I replied quickly.

“Oh, come on Damon. A lot of shit has happened in the past couple of months, but there was a reason for it. Every problem has a way out and I’m your way out of this hell hole of a town.” She told me.

She was right. I had absolutely nothing to do here. Stefan and Elena were married and they were going to start their long lives together and Adrianna… Well she was gone and never coming back.

“So, what do you say? Come with me.” She suggested. “Come with you where?” I asked. “Everywhere. Europe, Asia, South America. Travel with me.” She replied.

“Why me?” I said pouring a drink.

“Well, Stefan is married now, so me trying to go after him again is over, but I’ve come to realize I never went after you.” She said.

“Yes you did. Don’t you remember 1864?” I said taking a sip.

“ I meant loving you the way you loved me.” She stated. She sat her drink down and flopped on the sofa. It was silent for a while before I spoke up.

“You didn’t answer then, why now?” I asked.

She huffed. “Because I’m getting bored of Mystic Falls!” she said impatiently.

I stared at her. I still did love her, but nowhere near as much as I still loved Adrianna. I want to start over with Katherine, not because I want to be friends again, but Adrianna always told me to forgive my enemies and be on good terms with them. You may never know when they’ll be on your side during your worst battles.

“So what do you say? Maybe after 168 years, we could start again?” she suggested.

“Fine, but I’m driving.” I told her.

She squealed with joy. “Great! We leave tomorrow night.” She said as she got up to leave. “Oh, and one more thing Damon.” She said as she turned around. “What?” I asked.

She walked back and kissed me on the lips. I didn’t know what to do since it was so unexpected. Then she stopped.

“I can’t wait.” She breathed against my lips.

With that she vampire sped out of the house and into the night.

Next Night

I packed the last suitcase into the trunk of Katherine’s car. I looked at Stefan and Elena. I had given them the place, since I wasn’t going to be here for a while. Elena came up and hugged me.

“Please be careful Damon.” She whispered.

Then she let go and went to Stefan’s side. I looked at the both of them. Married and happy. They got exactly what they wanted out of life, except the vampire part. But that had its perks.

“Good luck brother.” He said.

“You too. Don’t party too hard while I’m gone.” I smirked.

They laughed as I got into the driver’s seat. I looked at Katherine. “You have to promise me we’re going to have each other’s backs.” She said.

“Okay. I promise.” I told her.

She smiled and leaned over to kiss me. I was trying to get used to the kissing, but I wasn’t quite there yet.

“Well then, let’s begin our journey shall we?” she said. She put her hand in mine, and we drove off, leaving this God forsaken town I call home.