Chapter 56: The Deadly Two's

Adrianna’s POV

It had been 2 weeks since I found out I was pregnant with Klaus’ baby. I looked like I was 3 months pregnant already according to Damon. Elena, Caroline and I were in the boarding house and Meredith had come with her ultrasound kit to the house to see what the gender of the baby was. She had already placed the cold jelly on my stomach and now were looking at the monitor.

“Okay, I see it. It’s a boy!” Meredith said. I grinned happily.

“That’s great! I’ve always wanted a boy as I firstborn.” I said ecstatically.

“Wait, I might be wrong.” Meredith said concerningly.She peered closer to the monitor and squinted. “Oh my.” She whispered.

“What? Is the baby not okay?” Caroline asked.

“There’s two babies. A boy and a girl.” She said shockingly.

I gasped. “I’m having twins! That’s amazing!” I beamed.

I looked at everyone to see if they were smiling as much as I was, but I seemed to be the only one excited by the news. Elena and Caroline looked at me sadly.

“It’ll be okay. When I die, I’ll be leaving to gifts behind.” I told them.

I remembered Bonnie explaining the process of the pregnancy of hybrid babies.

~1 week ago~

Damon, Stefan, Elena, Caroline and I were in the living room to hear what Bonnie had to say about the pregnancy. She had done some research and asked some witches that she knew about someone in my condition and came back here to tell us all.

I was laying down on the couch with my head on Damon’s chest. There was a blanket on top of me since I got the chills so easily now. I was the size of an over-inflated basketball; and that’s for someone who’s only 2 weeks pregnant. I was looking at my belly and feeling a little self-conscious, I pulled the blanket up to cover my stomach. I felt Damon’s hands grab onto mine just to pull the blanket back down.

He brought his head down to my cheek and whispered, “You are beautiful pregnant or not. Everyone here knows that. Everyone here loves you, especially me.” I smiled at him and he brought his lips down to mine and we shared a kiss.

“Mhmm.” Bonnie cleared her throat.

We pulled away from each other and Bonnie began. “The pregnancy takes about 3 months. As you can see, she grows rapidly day by day.” Bonnie stated.

“She will go weaker as the pregnancy reaches its final stages. She will be at her weakest during the final week of the pregnancy.” She explained.

“How will she grow weaker?” Stefan asked. Bonnie sighed and looked at Damon and I before she spoke.

“The baby is part human and in this case, part hybrid. The fetus can’t live on only the nutrients that Adrianna would supply by eating food, but also the nutrients inside of her.” Bonnie said.

“So what would it live on?” Damon asked.

“Adrianna’s blood.” Bonnie answered quickly.

I felt Damon stiffen when he heard that answer. I grabbed his hand and rubbed it with my thumb to calm him down.

“It’s okay Damon, I’ll be fine.” I thought to him.

He responded by grabbing my hand and holding it in his. “Each day the fetus grows, the more blood it takes in. Eventually, it’ll get to the point where the baby will consume so much blood that her heart would not beat fast enough to produce more.” Bonnie said.

“So I’ll die.” I said.

She nodded slowly. There was a moment of silence before Damon got up.

“Where are you going?” Elena asked.

“I just can’t deal with this right now.” He said putting on his jacket.

He came over to me and kissed me on the lips before putting his forehead to mine.

“I love you so much. More than anything.” He said looking into my eyes.

He kissed me one more time before he left out the door. All we heard was the screeching of tires against gravel.

~Present~

The door opened and in walked Damon.

"Hey, where have you been?” Elena asked.

He walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink without even answering Elena’s question. He looked at us and then at Meredith. “What’s she doing here?” he asked taking a sip of his bourbon.

“She’s told us the gender of the babies.” I answered.

“Babies?” he replied.

I used all the strength I had to get up and show my huge self to Damon. “I’m having twins. It’s both a good and a bad thing.” I told him.

He was in a frozen stare with my belly. I couldn’t tell if he was angry, but he certainly was not happy.

“Damon, I need you to say something please.” I told him.

He shook his head slowly. “Adrianna, I don’t think you’ll like what I have…”

“JUST SAY IT DAMON!!!” I yelled.

“I don’t want you to have these kids.” he said calmly.

“I will…” I answered before he smashed the glass of bourbon on the table.

“I know I sound selfish, hell I’m being selfish, but being a little selfish isn’t bad Adrianna! Especially when it comes to saving your goddamn life!” he yelled.

“I don’t care Damon! I’m having them one way or the other!” I told him.

He paused for a second before he sighed.

“Adrianna listen to me. I love you. WE all do. We don’t want to see you die for some babies…”

“No Damon you listen to me! All I wanted my entire life was to get married and have kids. My mother and brother left and God knows where my father is. I have a chance to redeem myself through these kids and not give them a fucked up family like I had. Taking the gift of life away from them and having me live would be an unforgettable act that I would never forgive myself for.” I moved closer to him and grabbed his hands.

“Please Damon, can you understand that I want these babies to live so I can give them a better life than I did?” I asked him.

He wiped away the tears on my face that I didn’t even know had fallen.

“How can they grow up without their mother, baby?” he asked tearing up a bit.

I gave him a sad smile and said “Even if I don’t get to live, I hope they get to change your life or everyone’s life. Everyone’s been through a lot too Damon. These babies will change that. I just need your support. Please.”

 Damon wrapped his arms around me and whispered, “I will always be here for you baby. I’m just going to miss you much. I promise we’ll find a way to make you stay alive.”

I pulled back and kissed him on the lips, officially sealing our deal.