Chapter 13: First Tries

I woke up this morning to Coldplay’s “Don’t Panic”. It was a rainy, Monday morning. Perfect. I put on some casual clothes. Sweatpants, t-shirt, hoodie, sneakers; simple. I walked to school, since Damon wasn’t there to pick me up. School went by slowly. I think I was getting a cold. I was coughing and sneezing everywhere. Although, by the end of the day, I was feeling better. I woke up the next day, and I could not talk at all. If I did, I sounded like an electric sharpener. I went to school and talked to no one. Then Abby Richards came up to me. She handed me an invitation, telling me to come to her masquerade party. She said to only wear black or red. I nodded smiling when she asked if I could come. School ended by 2 pm. I walked out to the school parking lot.

There he was, Damon leaning coolly against the hood of his car. Every eye was on him. He noticed me. “Hey, you okay? You look like you got hit by a truck.” He said. “Ha ha Damon. Very funny.” I thought sarcastically to him. “How come you can’t speak?” he asked. “My throat hurts like hell.” I replied thoughtly. “Get in the car.” He ordered. The drive home was quiet, and it wasn’t even to my house, it was to his. We got out of the car and into his house. “What am I doing here?” I thought, sitting on the sofa. “It’s weird, having to read your mind to speak to you. So I’m just going to give you and antidote.” He replied walking down the hallway. Before I knew it, he was holding a tiny vile glass filled with a clear liquid. “Drink.” He said handing it to me. I drank it. It looked like water and didn’t have a taste. I cleared my throat, and then my voice came back. “Wow, I can’t believe that worked. What is it?” I asked him. “Vervain.” He said. “The stuff that can kill you?” I said. He nodded. “Vervain, kills vampires but cures sore throats.” He said. I laughed.