Chapter 60: Death and All His Friends: The Wait

Damon's POV

Minutes, hours, days passed since Adrianna's death. The house was still. I had done my share of grieving for her. Losing my one true once had taken a toll on me. Twice made me want to kill myself. She had left the babies behind, although we didn't name them. I never saw them once they were born. I saw them as the enemy, they were the reason she died. Adrianna would have hated me if she knew I was avoiding them. They reminded me of her and that was the last thing I wanted to think about. The babies were being taken care of by Elena and Stefan. The two were happy taking care of the twins; it reminded them of the thing they longed for the most as a couple: children.

The clock had struck 12 at midnight. The children were asleep but would cry often. I had adapted a routine after Addy's death. It wasn't healthy in any way, but it helped with the pain. I walked up to her room from the kitchen with a bottle of bourbon. I opened the door and looked onward. It was dark. The moonlight was the only thing that gave the space luminescence. Everything was left the same as it was the day she died. Her shoes were still by her closet door, sweater hanging on the back of her chair, giving a look as if she was still here.

I looked towards the bed and saw her. She was laying still and peacefully, as if she never died in pain. I went over to her bed side and looked at her face. I took a swig of the bourbon before I sat down on the bed. She laid motionless. I took a breath. That breath turned into multiple breaths and they into heaving. I hit my head on her sternum as I cried into her empty chest. I sobbed and sobbed, begging for her to come back. I could hear the uncomfortable turns that Stefan and Elena made in their beds, hearing my cries.

I looked up from her still chest to her face. She was still the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, even after death. I closed my eyes and inhaled her scent; trying to imagine her chest breathing up and down against my chin. It became more realistic the more I thought about it. Then I looked up again at her to see her sparkling eyes looking down at me.

Adrianna's POV

Death is cold and dark. Damp and smelly. No one is here, no one can hear you. You are all alone, by yourself. This isolation gave me time to think. It made me think taking vampire blood and becoming a vampire wouldn't have been such a bad idea because I miss my family terribly. I would have been fine with living with Damon, Stefan, Elena and everyone else forever and ever. I didn't even get to see my new children like every mother does. I just want to go back. That's all I want.

I get this strong urge as if something is pushing me, so I push back. The harder I push, the easier it gets. I push hard enough to open and see the most marvelous eyes looking back at me.

"Damon?" I breathlessly whispered.

He was in shock. Complete and utter shock. Before I could say something else, he pulled me into an embrace. I hugged him tighter than I have ever done in my life.

"Your heart stopped beating." He said.

"I know. I'm sorry." I answered.

He pulled me away and grabbed my face in his hands. "Don't ever do that to me again." He ordered. I nodded. We kissed so tenderly and softly, as if it was our first date or at the bed and breakfast. I poured all of my love and despair into that kiss, filling every bit of it. There was a knock on the door. We stopped.