Chapter 49: Low

Adrianna’s POV (Earlier)

I walked towards the huge hole in the middle of the field. I kneeled down and peeked below. There he was, droopy eyed, heavily sweating and coughing up blood. He was dying. My first reaction was tears pouring down my face. Who could’ve done this?

Then all the pieces fit together. Katherine. Anger bubbled inside of me. This was all her fault. She was out to ruin Damon and I from the start. She succeeded. Damon was dying and I needed to save him, but how?

I quickly climbed down the six foot hole and stared at Damon. He was lying on his side, with the stake that was driven through him sticking out. He was slowly closing his eyes, then opening them as if he was fighting death. I rushed to him.

“Damon…Damon, wake up. It’s me Adrianna.” I said to him.

His slow but bright eyes looked over to me slowly, widening as he saw me. “Adrianna? Oh God I missed you so much. I love you.” He replied hazily.

I knew I needed to do something, but I didn’t know what. I started crying, leaning on Damon’s shoulder as I sobbed. I felt him reach over and touch me.

“No, don’t cry. I’m going to be right here.” He said as he pointed to my heart.

Then he closed his eyes and smiled. I cried a little bit harder until I saw his wrist. I first tried the easy way. I found a sharp rock and slit my wrist open. I put the bleeding wrist over his mouth. He started waking up and taking some blood. He was awake but he was weak.

“Oh, it’s working. Damon this is going to hurt a bit.” I said to him.

“Adrianna?” he whispered. I looked at him.

“Yes! Yes! It’s me.” I told him while grabbing his wrist.

His eyes were bright, but there was still death in there. He was dying once again.Then I remembered Klaus and Andryah. 

 I slashed his wrist with the same rock. He yelled in pain. “I’m sorry.” I apologized. It seemed to calm him down. He had little to no blood coming out of the slash. I put my wrist to his and the transition began. This time it felt different.  It felt as if I couldn’t stop it. There was so much blood coming out of me and I was intoxicated with the feeling. Then I fell.

I felt weak and on the verge of death. I couldn’t see what was happening, only blurriness.

“Damon…” I said groggily. “Oh God, Adrianna.” He said shockingly.

I was so happy to hear his voice. He grabbed me and tried to stand me up. “I’m fine, just dizzy.” I told him.

I tried to walk, but quickly fell into his arms. It felt so good to be in his arms again. “Okay, we have to get out of here.” He said. His grip around me tightened as he wrapped his arm around my torso and pulled my arm over his shoulder. He jumped up and before I knew it, we landed on soft grass.

“Ugh, I’m so sorry.” Damon said as he lay over me.

His eyes were getting dark. He was hungry. “You’re not strong enough. Here, drink.” I said holding up my bloody wrist to his mouth.

He looked at it for a while before turning away. “Adrianna, I can’t drink from you again. You’re going to die.” He said.

“Just drink. I promise I’ll be okay. We’ll be okay.” I told him.

He hesitated, but then gave in. I saw his eyes get dark, his veins pop out as he bit into my flesh, just the way he looked when I first saw him as his true self.

“Keep your heart beating for me. Please, I can’t lose you.” He said.

“I missed you so much.” Was all I could say.

He picked me up and started running. I thought about him and everyone else. Then I thought of how I got here and who I was running from. I thought of Klaus.

My heart stopped beating.