Chapter 65: Together Again

Elena's POV

We all headed down to the bar to pay our respects to Adrianna. Externally, I looked fine; strong even. But inside was so different. One of my best friends died. She was family. Not only did I feel miserable, but I felt responsible. We could have saved her, but that would have gone against her wishes. We were all sad, but not as sad as Damon. He lost her three times and with every passing, it just weakened him even more. Now that she was truly, certainly and absolutely gone, it just killed us inside. It killed him inside. It worries me how he's going to cope, but Stefan and I are going to have to keep a close eye on him.

Not only did we have a beautiful service, but to make matters worse, Klaus appeared. We have no idea who invited him or how he knew. We went to the boarding house and Damon was already pouring himself a drink before I even took my jacket off.

"Why the hell are you here?" Damon asked angrily. Klaus stood at the doorway, looking at Damon as he drowned himself in bourbon.

"Same reason we're all here. To honor Adrianna." He replied smoothly.

Damon downed his drink before turning around to Klaus. "Oh please. You didn't give a damn about her! It's all your fault! It's all your fault she's gone! " Damon yelled.

"You think I didn't care about her! Adrianna was the only positive thing I had in my life in my thousand years of living! She was everything to me! I let her go because she wasn't happy! She was only happy when she was with you!" Klaus replied in the same tone.

It was silent for a while before Damon said, "None of this would've happened if you just stayed away. We would be happy. Together."

"I know. But you know what, I don't regret a damn thing. I don't regret taking her, making her fall in love with me, and especially making her bear my children." Klaus said.

Damon's eyes turned dark as he looked up to Klaus. He pounced on him and threw him across the room, breaking the dining table. Klaus rose up and hit Damon back, pushing him to the wall. Before Damon could throw a punch, Stefan grabbed his arm and dragged him away. "You did this! It's all your fault! You evil bastard! You never deserved her!" he yelled at him.

As I watched Damon go into the other room, I turned to look at Klaus, who wasn't even in the room anymore.