Chapter 44: From The Spirit World, With Love

Adrianna’s POV

It was D-day for me. Today was the day when Klaus’ evil friend would come. How did I know this? Well, a lot happened over the past 9 months…

~6 Months Earlier~

Klaus and I had grown closer than ever. He made me laugh, he bought gifts for me or made the, and made me see the positive side of being here. We spent a lot of time together, even though Rebekah would occasionally pop up and ruin the moments. She didn’t approve of us. I didn’t understand why, but it didn’t matter to me. I almost felt like we were a couple, but we weren’t because I was the key to his whole evil project and I didn’t like that. Plus, my feelings for Damon never went away. I don’t think they ever will.

It wasn’t until one day; I decided to ask why I was here. I had asked a few times before, but Klaus would always change or avoid the subject. We were lying down in his room, which was really my room, since he never slept there. I was lying on his chest while his arms were wrapped around me. Out of nowhere, I started thinking about Damon. From Our time with each other and how we got separated to how I ended up here.

“Ask him, Adrianna.” My subconscious said.

“Adrianna, it’s really complicated to tell you why you’re here.” Klaus blurted out.

“I really have to be careful about what I think with you vampires around.” I told him and he laughed.

Then there was silence before I chose to speak. “So, why am I really here?” I asked him.

He took a deep breath and pulled himself up, making me below him. “Why are you so curious?” he asked.

“Well, I know it’s not just for your pleasure.” I told him.

He looked down at me. “How do you know it’s not just for my pleasure?” he asked smiling.

“You are suddenly interested in me. That wasn’t happening when I first arrived.” I explained.

“I’ve always been interested in you, Adrianna. Even before you arrived.” He said casually sweeping strayed hair from my face to the back of my ear.

I grabbed his hand. “Nik, please.” I begged.

He stared at me before sighing and taking a deep breath. “Adrianna, you’re here to complete a spell that I’ve been trying to complete for hundreds of years.” He told me.

I looked at him for a second. “There’s more to it. Tell me.” I said.

“The spell would allow me to bring back a powerful witch who will help me make more hybrids, since Elena is a vampire now. But, the witch is better than Elena. With you, my hybrids will be stronger and more powerful.” He answered sincerely.

I was stunned. “So are you using my blood?” I asked.

“Yes, but you have to promise me something.” He told me.

“What?” I asked.

“You have to promise me not to betray me. No backing out or trying to escape.” He asked.

“Okay, I’ll promise you that if you promise me one thing.” I told him.

“What?” he asked.

“Promise me after all of this is over, you’ll let me go and you’ll never bother anyone I love again.” I asked.

He paused for a second before looking at me. “I can promise to let you go, but I can’t promise to never bother you or anyone you love ever again.” He said sincerely.

I sighed then nodded. “Why do you need the hybrids?” I said. He turned to me and put his palm on my cheek.

“I don’t want you to worry about that.” He told me.

I held my hand in his as he leaned down to kiss me. The kiss got deeper as we lay back on the bed, without our clothes on.

~Present~

I had the days counted down until it was time for the spell. Every day that passed was a day where I got closer to bringing the witch back. Klaus hadn’t been as reassuring as he used to be. As the days got closer, he became more distant from me. Even after he told me that he was in love with me, which was something I didn’t even hear any more from him. I was just worried that something bad was going to happen. This horrible feeling in my gut that told me to run away, although I had made a promise to Klaus as he had made a promise to me, which I looked forward to after that.

I missed all my friends. I missed my brother and mother. I missed Damon. Ever since I was here, all I could think about was him. I wondered if he even thought about me. He told me he loved me and he’d never forget me. I’d do the same with him.

“Adrianna, can I talk to you?” a voice asked.

I looked up and saw Klaus in the doorway. I nodded and he led me to a room that I’d never seen before.

“Klaus, what’s wrong?” I asked him.

He looked at me. “I don’t think I can do this anymore.” He said gently.

My heart broke. “What. I…I don’t…” He walked up to me and grabbed my face.

“Darling, it’s just that…I don’t want to hurt your feelings after all of this is over.” He told me.

“I love you and you love me. You said it yourself. Why are you leaving me?” I asked on the verge of crying.

“When all of this is over, what’s going to happen then? I’m going to New Orleans and you’re obviously going back to Damon Salvatore. There’s nothing left for us after all of this is over.” He replied sincerely.

I had been silent after he said those words, not even bothering to think about them. He had wiped a tear that had fallen from my face.

“I’m just trying to protect you.” He said.

He kissed my forehead and whispered, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” With a breeze of air, he was gone.

I started sobbing silently, recalling all he said to me in the past. How he said he’ll love me. Now he was gone because he doesn’t know what to do with me. He said I’ll go back running to Damon, who hadn’t even looked for me.