Chapter 43: Truth Comes Out

Adrianna’s POV

It had been month 6 at Klaus manor. Everyday got more and more boring. I only saw the sun and the moon. Everything else was kept away from me. I kind of got depressed sometimes. When I did, I never got out of bed, I’d just lay there and think about the past and sometimes cry about it. I couldn’t sleep. If I did, I’d dream about Damon and all our happy moments together and then our break up, which would make me cry so hard, I’d wake myself up. I just wanted one day of freedom, away from all of this and to just go away not think about anything.

“You want to not think?” Klaus asked.

He startled me, seeing that I was in deep thought.

“Yeah, I mean, it’s just a thought. Hopefully, it’ll occur when you’re done with me.” I said awkwardly. He chuckled at my behavior. “Where do you want to go?” he asked.

“What do you mean ‘where do I want to go’?” I said mocking his voice. He smiled.

“I know it can get a little stuffy in here; A bit nostalgic and boring. Frankly, I’d like to get out of here myself, so I’m asking where you would like to go. You can pick anywhere.” He told me.

I immediately thought of the one place I’d like to go back to, Mystic Falls.

“Anywhere except there.” He said.

I groaned. I really missed everyone and I knew he knew that I missed everyone as well. Although, I’m not sure he cared.

“I do care, Adrianna.” He told me.

He came closer and held my hand. Then I felt that huge lump in my throat and tears well up in my eyes.

“Why won’t you just let me go?” I asked fighting the urge to not cry, even though I end up losing the battle as two stray tears slide down my cheeks. He moves in closer to embrace me before pulling away to wipe my tears away.

“Darling, I don’t want you to be here, but I need you to.” He says to me. “How long?” I asked sniffling.

“Soon. Just…soon.” He replied, kissing my forehead as I while I cried into his shoulder.

Damon’s POV (6 Months Later)

So far we had visited the whole entire world. Drinking our way through bourbon and humans and enjoying the exciting vampire lifestyle. All we needed was blood, compulsion and hot, hot sex. Yes, being in this relationship with Katherine was nothing like 1864. Back then, I was human; vulnerable and weak. Now I’m her kind, her breed. We think alike and act alike. I don’t love her as much as I did in 1864, but It’s wonderful and a refreshing change of life.

Although there’s not one day that doesn’t go by without me thinking about Adrianna. I find myself straying back to our old happy memories with each other. Each moment I think of, I find myself regretting not cherishing that moment with her if I knew this was how it was going to end. I don’t really believe she’s dead, although there was enough proof for me to believe. I just wanted to know how Katherine knew.

“Hey, random question. How did you know Adrianna was dead?” I asked. We were sitting in a bar in Moscow. She stopped drinking her bourbon and looked at me for a while.

“Damon, what was the one rule we had about this adventure?” she asked sighing.

“Don’t talk about anyone from our past. Just you and me and the world.” I said.

“Exactly. So please, just enjoy yourself. Russia is a great place.” She answered.

I wanted to be more persistent, but I didn’t want to ruin it for her. After a moment of silence she answered.

“I was there Damon. I saw her in the car and saw it crash.” I just looked at her more.

“Yeah, but what were you doing…” We were cut off by a rush of eclectic Russian music and a gathering of people who crowded to the dance floor. We were pulled there by some other people and I found myself dancing with Katherine in my arms. She just smiled and laughed as we danced to the fast paced tune of the song.

When it slowed down, she put her arms around my neck and I found myself staring into her eyes. She leaned up to me and whispered in my ear.

“Forget about her Damon. Live in the moment. She’s gone and it’s just you and me now.” She pulled away from my ear and leaned over to my lips. She gently pushed her lips against mine and we kissed. It was nothing like Adrianna’s. It was bland and had no spark whatsoever. But, it was better than nothing.

She pulled back when she realized I didn’t kiss her back.

“Damon, I’m ready to start over and be with you. Just, please. Give me another chance.” She begged.

I thought about it for a moment and then said. “I will give you a chance, but I’ll never be able to let go of Adrianna.” She nodded and kissed me again.

I wanted to give her another chance because that’s what Adrianna would’ve done, give people second chances. Even if it feels so wrong to be with Katherine, I’m willing to try.