*Chapter 78*

A multitude of feelings bombarded her at that moment. Strong feelings of denial, anger, hurt, and resignation. She looked on at him in disbelief,"Do you realize how you sound?! This is my friend, not just anybody! We knew each other before the both of us got together!"

Constantine's face changed as he looked on at his wife with growing anger," That fact matters little when you know what I know! Friends can betray you just like family! If I'm telling you this then obviously you should trust in it! I'm your husband!"

Anyae felt indignation rise within her chest like slow rolling smoke," Me and Hamani have been friends since childhood Constantine! You only know her through me! So you don't know her as much as you think you do! Regardless of how you feel you have no right to diss my friend like that!"

The air felt tense and stiff, thick like a DQ sunday. She didn't know when but there was a subtle shift and his expression turned terrifying while his eyes became hard.
"I have EVERY right. No, you are not my property but you ARE my wife. Which means I am responsible for keeping you safe. You are mine and I am yours. If in anyway I feel your life is being threatened by someone close to us, it becomes my BUSINESS, INTENTION,and RIGHT to take care of it. Regardless of your personal feelings about it."

His tone had been immensely frightening and what he said, hit her heart. It even sounded raw with emotion.. Ms.Macheibreigh found herself softening and her core warming at his words alone. Her resolve and will to argue melted away as a feeling of shame slowly crept in. For a few seconds it was silent until she found her voice again.

"At....at least explain to me why Con. I love you and.... it's not like I don't trust you but...you at least have to look at it from my perspective. I mean if you were in my shoes how would you feel?"

Everything in him at that point wanted to be stubborn and dismiss what she just said. But he knew just as well as she did that she was right. It wasn't that he couldn't be reasonable but she had hurt him. Made him think that she didn't trust him at all. She watched him drag in a slow breath and found herself doing the same.

"I understand Lotus, and I don't want to think the worst of your friends but both Hamani and Tahnah were kidnapped earlier today. The only one we found was Tahnah and a note to be more vigilant concerning my family's safety. Tahnah told my cousins that they were taken but she was the only one bound and gagged."

Anyae's jaw dropped and for a quick second Constantine found himself feeling guilty. Her reaction made him feel responsible like he needed to do something to get her mind off of things. So he took her hands in his and pulled her back onto the couch with him. The moment they hit the couch he maneuvered her to face him and placed her hands in his hair. Once he caught a glimpse of her confused expression he chuckled as his thumbs rubbed circles into her hips.

"Con what are you doing?"

At her question, he fixed her with a smirk,"So I only get the luxury of a good head massage while I'm sleep?"

"I-no? This...I mean it's just so sudden..."

"Mhmm get to it, please?"

Anyae rolled her eyes but began to play in his hair as a start. As her fingers carded and massaged through his scalp he found himself relaxing even more. Honestly he found himself relaxing quick once she accepted without hassle. It was a quick think solution because while she seemed calm on the outside he knew her enough to know she was bidding her time until she could get away and confront Hamani.

While she massaged his scalp Anyae squirmed under his intense gaze. He himself found it quite enjoyable until she huffed and pursed her lips at him.

"I mean damn, do I have something on my face?"

For a few long drawn out minutes, her husband did not answer and continued to stare into her soul. Until she bit her lip.

"Sing to me Lotus."

Anyae froze. The question wasn't an odd one but she was sure he had never eavesdropped on her in the shower. Or...at least wouldn't be able to hear over the water jets. Wrong. She tried to diffuse the situation and laughed, thinking he was joking.

"Stop fucking with me Con."

Constantine tightened his hold on her and looked at her through hooded eyes," If I was fucking with you, you'd know."

He watched as her demeanor shifted and now she was more shy and quiet. She was staring at his shoulder when she mumbled a response.

"I don't even know what to sing you.."

"Anything you want Lotus. I just want to hear your voice..," as he said it he kissed her jaw and ran a slow hand up her back.

"Is this still just to take my mind off of Hamani?"

"No. Not anymore. I tire of talking about her. I want to hear you."

His eyes continued to pierce her soul until finally she relented," Ok."

Constantine felt deeply content when he heard her voice. He didn't know the song but found himself closing his eyes and listening. He forgot about everything else.