Chapter 14

———————————————————————

( ˊ̱˂˃ˋ̱ )

———————————————————————

Choi Haewon POV

I looked up at the person in front of me with a judgemental look. "Even if that was a good pickup line, it was loaded with self-confidence. What made you so sure I wanted to look at you?"
I looked up at Heeseung who was at a loss for words. I chuckled and patted the empty space beside me for him to sit.

"At least I'm trying" he muttered in a sulking tone. I gave him a gentle pat on the back. "It's ok, it could have been way worse"

"Why are you out here all by yourself? Why didn't you go back home" Heeseung had a conserved look.
I let out a small sigh and took out the remaining of my lollipop and threw it in the thrash as I was done with it. "I came here to clear my thoughts. A lot happened today" I explained and started fiddling with my fingers on my lap.

"You know, I know I can't do much but I'm always here if you need someone to talk to and if you don't trust me or don't like me enough to talk to me, I can always help you find someone to talk to"

"Thank you"

We fell silent. Neither of us knew what to say, so I grabbed his hand and dragged him with me. We walked along the river. The sound of water hardly hitting the rocks filled the air.
I inhaled a deep breath and looked behind me to ding Heeseung starting at me.  Maybe I should give him a shot.

"When I became ten my father decided to show up at my front door. He told me that I had an opportunity of moving in with him if I wanted to, but my mother refused to let me go. So when she left for work, he kept coming back. When I was twelve my mother finally told me the reason she didn't want me to move in with my father. The reason was; that he had arranged a marriage for me with the son of another company, and I was to be trained to be a housewife and business owner while I lived with him.
I also learned that every time he contacted me, it was because a new deal had come up where he could use me to gain something"

"Is that why you were so angry with him after the meeting because he wouldn't leave you alone?"

"Yes"

"But what about Jay, he is your half-brother. Are you angry with him?"

"No. He will always be the Jay I know for now. We met regardless of my father and I'm not angry with him. Who knows, maybe we could even start acting as siblings... I just hope that Jay doesn't turn out like our father, that he becomes a better person if he is to take over the company"

"Jay is a kind person, he is just a bit messed up. His parents divorced when he was ten or so, and he is not on good terms with his stepmother, or step-sister. He has had a tough life and is trying his hardest to take care of the ones around him, the ones he cares about. Including you. You have become a part of our family now, even if you like it or not. We won't leave you alone now"

I didn't know if that was meant to be comforting or a threat, but it somehow made me feel better about the whole situation.
Suddenly Heeseung grabbed my wrist and held my hand properly as I had been holding his hand in a weird way all along. As small blush became noticeable on my cheeks so I looked away from him, and upon the mood.