English Exchange Student (pt.1) •lee felix•

(NOT PROOFREAD)

Genre: soft :)

Word count: 1.5k

(Italics in punctuation marks are English words:)

Synopsis: after moving to Seoul from New York to learn more about the Korean culture (you're half American half Korean), you were quick to find out how lonely you felt in a country you barely knew. You felt discriminated against for being more American than Korean, bullied and tripped in the hallways, until you met a particular boy in your class.

(This was written because I actually have a friend from another country who went through something similar to this. So shoutout to my bestie!)
(P.s., you're also SVT Vernon's little sister in this, congratulations!)

***

Clutching your schedule in your hands, you began your climb up to the third floor where you would be stationed until after 4 this evening. Today is your first day at a Korean school. And in Korea. So naturally, you were feeling pretty nervous.

As you walked up the stairs, you could hear people whispering behind your back, mumbling incoherent things in their native language while you only understood pretty easy words, such as: hajima (하지마), aniyo (아니요), annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요), etc. So pretty common words used in the language. However, you do know how to read the language, but most of the time you have no idea what some of the words mean despite how hard you studied before flying in from the States. But it didn't make you feel relieved going to a foreign school at all, especially with it being your last year of high school.

You swore you also heard a handful of people mumble to themselves: 'isn't that Vernon's sister?'

Great.

You looked down at your schedule in your clammy hands, squinting your eyes to read your class room number. Just as you were reading and walking, you walked straight into a girl, causing you both to stumble backward.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" you apologized, quickly bowing to the girl since she seemed older than you.

She only looked at you with a mean stare, practically looking you up and down. You felt a sudden wave of uncomfortableness and awkwardly moved yourself past her to begin your journey to the unknown classroom of yours.

The girl turned around, staring holes into the back of your head. "Yah! The stairs are over here!"

You spun around at the sound of her shout, looking back at her with wide eyes. For a moment, your words got stuck in your throat at the thought of explaining yourself in Korean.

"But I don't need to go downstairs- my class is up here," you spoke unconfidently in the language, gripping your schedule tighter in your hands.

The girl stared blankly at you, blinking a couple of times.

"No. To go back to your country, you American," she spat out in a low tone, making you flinch despite the large distance in feet between you two.

She then walked away as if nothing happened between the two of you, leaving you standing there in the hallway alone and confused as to what had just happened. But it was a little sad that you knew what she said to you. Students passed by, giving you weird looks again.