Brance - Taking A Break

"Do you like it when I'm away?
If I went and hurt my body, baby
Would you love me the same?"

or

a brance one-shot in which the two boys take a break after vance gets in a fight resulting in him getting arrested.

no grabber.
_

Bruce hadn't heard from Vance all day. Usually Vance would have called during the morning or sometime in the early afternoon to make sure the other boy knew he was awake. Even on days he didn't call to tell Bruce he was awake, he'd still call and talk about something.

Bruce couldn't help but feel a tad worried about the blonde.

The two boys had been dating for the past three months. Vance had made a promise to Bruce when he had asked him out saying that he wouldn't fight anymore unless it was to protect himself or another person. No more fighting over a pinball machine or something dumb. Vance was hesitant about it at first but he had seemed to be sticking to the promise pretty well since he had made it.

Bruce's phone rang 3 times before getting picked up and put to the boy's right ear.

"Hello?"
"Hello. Is this Bruce Yamada?"
"Yes? Who is this?"
"This is Denver Police Department. We have a Vance Hopper here in custody at the moment. He was told he only has one phone call to make before we take him in, he chose to speak with you."

Bruce's heart dropped quite quickly in to his stomach.
Vance was arrested?

"Okay. Give the phone to him."

The sound of metal clanging was heard through the phone for a brief 10 seconds before a voice was heard on the other side.

"Hey Bruce.."

Yep. That was Vance alright.

"Vance. Vance what did you do? Why are you in there?"

The boy on the other side of the phone sighed softly. He knew Bruce was going to be pissed about this one.

"I was having a real bad day today Bruce. My mom has a new boyfriend and he's been on my back all week about absolute bullshit. Today I had enough of hearing his voice and left the house for a little bit. I went to the Grab N' Go to play pinball, y'know, to release some steam or whatever. I was so close to beating my top score when someone pushed into the machine and messed me up. You can guess what happened after that."

Not only was Bruce pissed off, he was livid. Vance had been doing so good and now he's getting arrested for beating up someone, who was most likely defenseless, over a goddamn game.

"Are you fucking serious."
"Bruce-"
"Vance. How bad did you hurt the other person."

The other side of the phone became quiet. Then another sigh was heard.

"He's in the hospital right now, but Bruce-"

Bruce had warm tears coating his eyes.

"The hospital Vance?!"

Bruce never liked fighting. He never liked violence. Especially when it came from people close to him. Hence why the promise Vance wouldn't fight was made.

"Bruce I'm sorry."

Vance knew Bruce was on the verge of tears. The boy would always cry when Vance would fight. He cried a couple times when Robin fought, but never as hard as he'd cry for Vance.

"Vance I can't. I can't do this with you."

Bruce sniffled loud. Vance's heart felt cold. In fact, his entire body felt cold. Empty too.

"What. What do you mean? Bruce please don't do this. Please. I'll make it better."

Bruce wanted to believe Vance. The boy hadn't even fought since he had made the promise. But even so, he still fought today and ended up putting someone in the hospital.

Bruce sniffled once more, wiping his face aggressively as more tears flowed down his skin. His heart wanted Vance. His heart loved Vance. But his mind was saying no. His mind was thinking of the other person in the hospital. How their parents probably felt looking at their kid in the hospital bed. Bruce's nose was becoming stuffed, his body shaking softly.

"Vance we need a break. We can talk more about this when you're out. But right now, I just can't do this. I'm sorry."

A small whimper was heard from the other side of the phone, followed by the sound of crying shortly afterwards. Bruce couldn't handle staying on the phone knowing he caused Vance to cry. If he stayed too long, he'd know he'd end up forgiving Vance. If he did that, how long would it take Vance to be in the same state he's in now?

Bruce sniffled one last time, gulping down the cry that was trying to claw it's way out of his mouth.

"I'm sorry Vance. I love you, but this isn't going to work right now."

Bruce hung up the phone before Vance could reply.