Brance/Rinney - Cold Winter Day

robin & finn are 17, vance & bruce are 18
———

Vance turned the heat on in the car, wincing as the hot air shot back at him forcefully. Next to him, Finn sat criss-cross in the passenger seat, phone in hand as he scrolled through different apps lazily. "You getting warm at all?" Finn shrugged, trying to stifle an oncoming yawn. "A little bit." Vance stared at him for a second before reaching his arm into the seat behind him. He grabbed something dark and handed it to Finn. Since it was in a balled up shape, Finn looked at the blonde confused. "What is it?" Vance put the balled up object in the other boy's lap before moving the car gear into drive. "It's one of my hoodies. Put it over your lap or something, you're clearly freezing." Finn did as told, smiling when warmth engulfed him in a gentle hug. "Thanks Vance." The blonde nodded his head, driving away from the house him and the other boy shared. "No problem."

(A couple of months ago, Vance had turned 18. He knew that Finn's father, Terrance, abused his children as well as neglected their needs. Gwen had moved out of the house prior to the blonde's birthday, having had enough of her 'father' and left to her friend's one day only to never return. Vance had insisted on 'adopting' Finn, seeing as though he was old enough to do so. The other boy had held up no argument, packing a bag quickly while his 'father' was asleep and escaping into his friend's car.)

It was winter outside, snow littering the ground and trees around the vehicle the boys sat in. Vance mostly focused on the road but at times he'd glance at the boy next to him, smiling softly when the boy eventually fell asleep holding the hoodie he'd given him close to his chest.

Vance pulled into a nearby drive-thru, softly poking the sleeping boy next to him so he could get his order. "Finn, wake up. What do you want for breakfast?" Finn rubbed at his eyes, sitting up against the seat slightly. "If you have enough, can I get a donut and a hot chocolate? You don't have to get me anything if you don't have enough or just, don't want to." Vance frowned, always taken aback by Finn's words when he's asked what he wants to get or do. Vance pulled up to the large drive-thru speaker, softly telling the worker on the other side his and Finn's breakfast order. Turning back around to the boy next to him, he smiled when he saw that the boy was fully awake and clearly happy about getting what he had asked for. Vance drove up to the window, paying for the orders and getting two bags and two drinks in exchange. He handed a drink and a bag to Finn, smiling as the boy smiled and began to eat his food. He placed his own drink in the cup holder next to him and his bag of food in his lap, shivering at the warmth radiating from it. He drove past the front of the restaurant, parking in a nearby space and shifting the car's gear to 'P'.

"Thank you for breakfast Vance." The blonde looked at the smiling boy next to him, ruffling his hair softly as the boy looked up at him. "You don't have to thank me Finn. You know I'd do anything for you kid, simple or big." Finn didn't respond, biting softly into the donut he had gently grasped in his hand. Vance began to eat his own food as well, satisfied at the taste of it. He threw both of their trash away afterwards, glad that the boy sitting next to him was full and happy.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Vance rubbed at his legs, shivering slightly from the cold that nipped at his skin as he closed the driver side's door. Finn seemed to think for a moment before he grinned. "Can we- uh, well if you want to- could we get Bruce and Robin and hangout at home? It's too cold to do anything outside today." Vance nodded at the boy, pulling away from the restaurant as more snow began to fall on the windshield. "Of course we can." He gave Finn a quick smile before fully focusing on the road, now making his way to his boyfriend's house.
————
Vance had picked up Bruce and Robin who were now in the backseat of the car talking about someone they didn't like at school. Finn didn't pay much attention to the conversation, flashbacks occurring in his mind as the person being talked about was usually the one who bothered him at school.

"I don't know why he doesn't just drop the 'I hate Finney Blake and everything he stands for' thing already, acting like I won't kick his ass for the thirteenth time this week." Robin threw his hands up in the air to express his slight anger at the situation. Bruce nodded his head in response. "I totally agree. He's such a douche and-" Finn shifted in his seat, fingers fiddling together as anxiety clouded his mind. Vance noticed this, placing a hand on his shoulder as the car rolled to a stop at a red light. "Sorry Finn. We'll stop talking about it." Finn shook his head, laughing a bit at the statement Bruce had made. "No, it's cool. He's a douche like you said and you guys can freely express your hatred for him." Bruce and Robin looked to Vance, not saying anything when the blonde shook his head softly. Finn didn't notice the action, having been looking at his lap while talking.

"Well, uh, anyways. What's the plan for today?" Vance continued to drive as the light in front of him changed from red to green, shrugging his shoulders at the question asked. "Are you guys okay with a movie marathon? You guys could spend the night if that's okay with everyone involved." The two boys in the back nodded their heads, softly smiling at Finn who smiled back. Vance nodded as well, now pulling into the driveway of his and his 'brother's house. "Well, since everything is settled, let's get inside and get everything ready. We have a long day of movie-watching ahead of us." Everyone exited the car, quickly walking up to the house to escape the bitter cold of the outside world.

Vance unlocked the front door, holding it open for everyone else before he too went inside and closed, as well as locked, the door behind himself. Finn and Robin left to the kitchen to gather movie snacks and make popcorn, leaving the other two to set up the first movie.

Bruce smiled at Vance after the two other boys had left the room. It wasn't a weird smile or anything, more of a 'I know something' smile. It made Vance just a little uncomfortable. "What's that smile for?" Bruce slid his coat his off, hanging it on a nearby rack. Vance followed suit, eyeing his boyfriend carefully as he waited for his response. "Nothing really. But you and Finn have been doing well together. I see how good you two are when surrounded with each other's company." Vance smiled at what the other boy said, thinking of the younger boy in the other room. "Yeah, I guess so. I really do love him. He's like a little brother I've never had the chance to have." Bruce nodded his head, moving over to the television set to get the first movie set up. "That's a good thing, yeah?" Vance sat on the floor next to the other boy, glancing at the different discs of movies he had on the shelf. "Yeah. Yeah it is."

In the kitchen, Finn smiled brightly at the words of the blonde. He looked at his boyfriend, moving slightly closer to him to gather warmth. "You two are good together." Robin took the popcorn out of the microwave as the machine beeped loudly, wincing at the heat radiating from the bowl. "Yeah, I love him like he's my real brother." Robin set the bowl of popcorn on the counter, giving Finn a confused look before reaching into the fridge to retrieve a few cans of soda. "He's already your real brother, isn't he?" Finn thought about the question for a few seconds before nodding with a smile. "Yeah. Yeah, I guess he is." Robin smiled at him, moving towards his face to deliver a kiss to his lips. Finn blushed at the action, taking a couple of cans from the other boy's arm as he leaned away from the kiss. "Well, let's go into the living room. Movie should be set up by now." Finn nodded, following behind his boyfriend as he walked to the other room.

The four boys sat close together, immediately becoming engrossed in the television as 'Carrie' began to play on the screen. Vance and Robin sat on the sides of Finn, both comforting him as the 'scary' scenes flashed across the screen of the television. Bruce leaned into Vance, smiling when the boy's arm wrapped around his waist.

That's how they all spent the rest of that day, watching movies while being snuggled close together. They wouldn't have traded it for the world.