messy hearts and emotions

The name was neatly printed on the paper, blackened ink that sat next to a messily drawn heart.

Fingers brushed against letters, the red of the heart melting onto skin.

He hadn't been given a letter like this before.

It was quite, unnerving.

The paper smelled of worn leather, fragranced lotion.

A knowing smile crawled onto lips, a beautiful thing that no one else saw.

Hands pushed the paper to a chest, folding it in between exhales.

The letter was tucked into a pocket, a memory that'd be stuck to a bedroom wall in the following hours.

His footsteps echoed as he walked through the school, heartbeat thumping through his ears louder than ever.

He was sure someone could hear how loud his heart was, something that somehow was noisier than the ticking of a nearby clock.

The thought of turning back crossed his mind.

The thought of ignoring the letter completely, throwing it away for the janitor to make use of.

But, no.

No, he needed to do this.

He stopped himself outside of a door, shaking his head as laughter poured from his mouth.

Surely he was insane for doing something like this.

His hand brushed against the door knob, the squeak of the hinges loud in the silence.

His heart lurched into his stomach as he caught sight of who he was looking for.

Raven-colored hair messily sat atop the boy's hair, tangled in-between fingers that pulled at it out of anger.

The boy was muttering, a blush striking his skin as he looked up.

"Did you read it?"

A nod.

His face got even redder, something that reigned impossible.

"I'll be your valentine."

The words were hesitantly said, pushed through parted lips that attempted to shield embarrassment.

"Really?"

It was as if all he could do was nod, blonde hair curled over his eyes to hide splotches of nervous red.

He hadn't noticed the boy move from his spot, the hands wrapping around him making him tense up.

"Happy valentine's day Vance."

Hesitant, nervous hands returned the hug.

"Happy valentine's day Bruce."