finney blake & older brother vance hopper

"And if you ask me to
Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird
I'ma give you the world
I'ma buy a diamond ring for you
I'ma sing for you, I'll do anything for you to see you smile"

I know this song is about father/parental figures but I'm going to use it for a Vance and Finney brother dynamic.
tw: child abuse & neglect
boys are aged up to 17.
——————

Finn groaned, wiping at the sweat that had slicked his hair to his forehead. The heat from outside stung the boy's skin, reddening the pale surface aggressively. Finn lay on his bed, seemingly unable to move as the sun's radiation glued him to his bedsheets. If Gwen were there, she'd force him to stand. She'd wipe a cold rag on his head, scolding him softly about laying down in the blaring heat. Sadly, the young female wasn't there, having moved out months prior due to their father's repeated verbal and physical abuse. Finn didn't blame her, he couldn't. He wished he could leave the house as well. Unfortunately, he didn't feel as if he had another place to go. At least, not a permanent one.

"Finney! I'm leaving! You better have this house cleaned spotless by the time I return!" Finn shifted uncomfortably on his bed, his reddened skin irritating him to no end. The sound of a door slamming shut made him sigh in relief, his father now finally going off to god knows where until later that afternoon. Reluctantly, Finn sat up and stretched. Hanging his feet from his bed, Finn stood up and began to walk towards the bathroom.

"I look gross." Finn lifted a hand, running it through his sweat-slicked hair. He grimaced at the feeling, quickly removing his hand and putting it under the sink to rid it of the germs he had just obtained. After he felt the germs were gone, Finn began to straighten himself up. He jumped into the shower, making sure the dial was set to lukewarm before washing the sweat from his body and hair. He dressed himself in a white undershirt as well as baby blue basketball shorts and white low-top shoes.

Stepping out of the bathroom, Finn walked towards the other section of the house, sighing when his eyes fell upon his father's mess. He began to clean around the home, picking up empty beer bottles and old newspapers. Finn did the dishes as well, knowing that if he didn't his father would beat him twice as hard as usual.

After the cleaning was done, Finn slumped against the living room sofa, a satisfied sigh escaping his lips. A loud ring caused him to flinch, eyes darting over to the yellow phone hanging onto the wall by the kitchen counter. The boy stood up slowly and walked over to it.

"Hello? This is Finney Blake."
"No shit Finn. Your dad there?"

Finn shook his head, responding with a 'no' shortly afterwards when remembering Vance couldn't see him from where he was. Finn could hear Vance speak to someone quickly with a quiet voice before his voice sounded louder through the small phone. "I'm coming over." He hung up before Finn could respond.
————-

Vance ascended up Finn's porch steps, knocking on the white wooden door five times when he was close enough to do so. A set of footsteps were heard before the door was opened and Vance's eyes met Finn's. The blonde smiled down at the other boy, walking inside after the boy had moved to the side. Finn closed the door and made sure it was locked before facing Vance once more.

"So, why'd you want to come over?" Finn scratched the back of his head, shifting his feet slightly. Vance sat on the sofa, eyes darting around the room as if he were trying to spot something out of the ordinary. "What? I can't come visit my little brother just because?" Finn smiled at how the other boy called him his 'little brother'. "Well, yeah. Guess so." Vance stood from his place on the couch and walked over to the kitchen. He dug through the cabinets and fridge before turning to Finn. "You have no food." Finn shrugged. He barely ate anyways. "Let's go get some. I'll pay." Finn shook his head, a bewildered look on his face. "No, that's okay. You don't need to do that. Not that hungry anyways." Vance rolled his eyes, interlocking his hand with Finn's and dragging him towards the door. "Put your shoes on. I'm not asking." Finn sighed, removing his hand from Vance's and doing as told. The blonde smiled when he finished, grabbing the younger boy's hand once more before opening the door for them both and dragging him to a small eatery.
———-

The two boys had finished their food, Finn profusely apologizing to the other boy for him having to pay. Vance shut him up with a slap to the head. "It's okay Finn. I don't mind." Finn had smiled up at him, gasping when he caught sight of the time. His father would be home soon. Vance had cocked his head to the side, confusion clear in his eyes. "What's wrong?" Finn shook his head, his heart beating quickly. "My dad. He'll be home soon. Need to go." Vance had nodded his head, motioning for Finn to lead the way back to his house. He'd come with him.

Finn's body shook with each step he took towards his home. Vance, who was walking next to him, rubbed his back in attempts to comfort him. Finn kept a quick pace, sighing in relief when his father's all familiar car wasn't in front of his home. The relief quickly vanished when the car pulled into the driveway, the driver's side door aggressively swinging open after the vehicle was parked.

"The fuck are you doing out here? Get the fuck in the house!" Terrance's voice was loud, shaking with pure anger. Finn flinched, tears welling up in his eyes. He went to move forward towards his home when an arm was placed in front of him, pushing him slightly behind someone. Vance immediately stood in front of him, his mouth downturned into a scowl that he shot at Terrance. "And who are you? Let him go, he needs to be taught a lesson for leaving when he knows he isn't supposed to." Vance turned his head towards Finn, ushering him to go into the house. He was about to fuck this man up. Finn looked at him, tears falling down his cheeks. He pleaded with Vance not to do anything stupid, the blonde smiled softly at him. "Go Finn. I'll be okay." Finn gave him a quick hug before running inside of the home. Vance turned towards Terrance who had a sick grin on his face, eyes trained on where his 'son' stood moments ago.

"You're younger than me. What makes you think you could hurt me?" Terrance stared at the boy in question, smiling maliciously. "I may be younger, but that doesn't mean I can't beat your stupid ignorant ass." Vance's eyes narrowed at the older man, fists balled up in front of him in a fighting stance. Terrance scoffed, also putting his balled up fists in front of him.

"Want to bet on that, blondie?"

—————

Finn watched the two males fight, heart racing fast in his chest. He wasn't surprised that Vance was winning, seeing as Terrance was slightly off-balance from previously drinking. Said man leaned backwards, head tilted towards the sky above. Vance spit something crimson colored onto the ground below before swinging his fist directly into Terrance's face, resulting in the man flying two or three feet backwards into a tree behind him. A sickening crack was heard, followed by a loud groan from the older man. From where Vance was standing, he could hear the man gasping for air. The blonde crouched in front of him, leaning towards his ear.

"You're lucky I don't just kill you. Never, and I mean never, speak to Finn again. He'll be with me now."

Terrance didn't respond, taking more gasps of air as his ribs were definitely broken. Vance stood up, wiping a string of blood from his mouth. He stepped away from the older man and made his way into the house towards the younger boy. Finn ran to him, hugging him tightly. Vance ran a hand through his hair, telling him to quickly pack a bag of clothes and other necessities. The younger boy complied, running off to his room. Vance called an ambulance before they left, leaving an anonymous tip that Terrance had been seriously injured.
————

It had been several months since then, the two boys now living together along with Vance's mother. Finn finally feels at peace, able to do and be whatever he wants. Gwen calls and comes over frequently, glad that her brother is better now. Robin and Bruce come over too, just not as much as Finn's younger sister. Vance makes sure that Finn is always okay, whether it's mentally or physically. And he will not hesitate to beat someone into the ground if Finn mentions that they've done something to him.

Terrance Blake was treated for his wounds before being sentenced to 20 years in prison for child abuse and neglect.

His last words before he was taken away was
"Tell my son I'll be back. This isn't over."
————